Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of skibum5's message #12347086 « Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses »

skibum5
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses

chez wrote:
This entire discussion was about the 16-35 f4 zoom which you would like to have it extended to 16-40 with a variable aperture...which I basically said I have no use for making it variable if you only gain 5mm on the long end. I understand your persistence at locking it in at f5.6....but why would I pay for the f4 lens and only be able to use it at 5.6? Sounds kind of dumb to me.

As is, the lens looks great with it being a constant f4 and really people will buy this lens more for its wide abilities not for the long end which most likely is covered by multiple other lens.

40-50mm

who says you can only use it at f/5.6 if it is variable? YOU are the one wanting to pay for a lens and be locked into the slowest end. THAT sounds dumb to me, if anything. As I said if the lens was to perform faster at the long end it would be a different, more expensive, larger lens, in all cases.

Yeah other stuff does cover it, but that means carrying three instead of two lenses, but listen, not end of the world.

If you don't like that it slid to f/4.5 at 40mm and maybe f/5 at 45mm and don't wanna lock into f/5, then just use it in the 16-35mm range and it stays f/4

Anyway, since it turns out to be internal zooming, it is possible that it might not have been able to extend past 35mm without being a total redesign and larger and heavier. (unless it's a fake internal zoom like 17-40).

And listen it should be a great lens to have. I already pre-ordered it.

May 14, 2014 at 08:54 PM

Previous versions of skibum5's message #12347086 « Announced: EF 16-35mm f/4L IS and EF-S 10-18mm lenses »