Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of asiostygius's message #12271292 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

asiostygius
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

craigjohn wrote:
Macro, er....Micro question.

I'm eyeing up getting a 105/2.8 AIS - but wondering gif I should go with the a 135/2.8 or 135/2 with an extension tube. Any thoughts?

TIA.

c

I have used the 105/2.8 Micro and the 135/3.5 + tubes for macro, but never made a "scientific" comparison test.
My general impressions are:
If you need critically sharp images at the borders for macros, then the 105/2.8 Micro (or the f/4 version) is the best one.
But if you are not interested in the borders and/or is a casual macro shooter, then the 135mm with any tube is an excellent combo, with the advantages of low cost (tubes) and more working distances than the 105/2.8 micro.
As Curtis already told you medium telephotos + tubes in general have revealed here and mostly in the "shooting with tubes" thread exceptional images (see Ronny's 135/2+Vivitar tube for example).

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:53 AM
asiostygius
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

craigjohn wrote:
Macro, er....Micro question.

I'm eyeing up getting a 105/2.8 AIS - but wondering gif I should go with the a 135/2.8 or 135/2 with an extension tube. Any thoughts?

TIA.

c

I have used the 105/2.8 Micro and the 135/3.5 + tubes for macro, but never made a "scientific" comparison test.
My general impressions are:
If you need critically sharp images at the borders for macros, then the 105/2.8 Micro (or the f/4 version) is the best one.
But if you are not interested in the borders and/or is a casual macro shooter, then the 135mm with any tube is an excellent combo, with the advantages of low cost (tubes) and more working distances than the 105/2.8 micro.
As Curtis already told you medium telephotos + tubes in general have revealed here and mostly in the "shooting with tubes" thread exceptional images.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Previous versions of asiostygius's message #12271292 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »