Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of CanadaMark's message #12200817 « 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced »

CanadaMark
Upload & Sell: On
Re: 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced

I think everyone with sticker shock will be more happy with the body-only price, when it comes. In fact, Nikon may be gauging response to the kit price before they finalize the body-only pricing. A lot of people will want this body to use with their existing 1-series kit and also with the FT-1 and F-mount lenses.

The Kit lens is $299 separately, and it's safe to assume the viewfinder and grip both are approximately $200 each. Subtract that from the kit price and you get $500, which IMO would be very competitive for this body. I realize you usually get a discount with kit bundles, so maybe $549 or $599. Still OK IMO.

For those of you saying it needs a bigger sensor, that would require them to abandon their entire line of lenses, the mount, and accessories like the FT-1. The sensor size works well. When the V1 came out, the 1" sensor had the same image quality as the M43 competition. The Sony RX100 II and it's 1" sensor is also selling very well at $750, and it's just a P&S. Larger sensors also mean larger, heavier, and less compact glass especially as you get in the mid-tele range. There is also no large sensor mirrorless camera that has even close to the same AF, FPS, or buffer. That is likely an advantage of the smaller sensor as well.

I think V1 --> V3 is a nice upgrade path, skipping over the V2.

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:30 PM
CanadaMark

I think everyone with sticker shock will be more happy with the body-only price, when it comes. In fact, Nikon may be gauging response to the kit price before they finalize the body-only pricing. A lot of people will want this body to use with their existing 1-series kit and also with the FT-1 and F-mount lenses.

The Kit lens is $299 separately, and it's safe to assume the viewfinder and grip both are approximately $200 each. Subtract that from the kit price and you get $500, which IMO would be very competitive for this body. I realize you usually get a discount with kit bundles, so maybe $549 or $599. Still OK IMO.

For those of you saying it needs a bigger sensor, that would require them to abandon their entire line of lenses, the mount, and accessories like the FT-1. The sensor size works well. When the V1 came out, the 1" sensor had the same image quality as the M43 competition. The Sony RX100 II and it's 1" sensor is also selling very well at $750, and it's just a P&S. Larger sensors also mean larger, heavier, and less compact glass especially as you get in the mid-tele range.

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:30 PM
CanadaMark

For those of you saying it needs a bigger sensor, that would require them to abandon their entire line of lenses and accessories like the FT-1. The sensor size works well. When the V1 came out, the 1" sensor had the same image quality as the M43 competition. The Sony RX100 II and it's 1" sensor is also selling very well at $750, and it's just a P&S.

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:29 PM
CanadaMark

Mar 13, 2014 at 03:27 PM

Previous versions of CanadaMark's message #12200817 « 18MP Nikon 1 V3 with 20fps continuous AF announced »