Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Herb Houghton's message #12174662 « Snowy Owl Smack Down and Bullying »

Herb Houghton
Upload & Sell: On
Snowy Owl Smack Down and Bullying (20 images)

I\'m all setup at Top Jimmy\'s favorite hunting perch, just waiting for him to fly towards me and land there as he\'d done in the past. Looking elsewhere for harriers for awhile, I returned my gaze to see some white wings flapping quickly in the distance, but there were two snowies staying put on the ground. I wasn\'t sure where Dolly Dagger came from as I was looking elsewhere for awhile. I thought they may be mating so I was nervously trying to shoot the action from a distance with no more light as the sun was weak and about to set. As I shot images I noticed that it was actually Dolly pinning Jimmy on his back for 11 seconds, according to my EXIF info. It was going on at least 3 seconds before I even acquired focus and started shooting. These are heavy crops at higher iso\'s, so the IQ is not excellent, but I thought some folks here would like to see this kind of unique behavior.
The following set is Dolly chasing Jimmy off to another area a few times. For a week, Jimmy was only allowed to perch in a distant corner of the farm, further away from the preferred hunting grounds. When he\'d come out late afternoon to hunt, she\'d chase him to another perch.

Herb

#1-5 Smack Down

Mar 02, 2014 at 02:00 PM
Herb Houghton
Upload & Sell: On
Snowy Owl Smack Down and Bullying (20 images)

I\'m all setup at Top Jimmy\'s favorite hunting perch, just waiting for him to fly towards me and land there as he\'d done in the past. Looking elsewhere for harriers for awhile, I returned my gaze to see some white wings flapping quickly in the distance, but there were two snowies staying put on the ground. I wasn\'t sure where Dolly Dagger came from as I was looking elsewhere for awhile. I thought they may be mating so I was nervously trying to shoot the action from a distance with no more light as the sun had just set. As I shot images I noticed that it was actually Dolly pinning Jimmy on his back for 11 seconds, according to my EXIF info. It was going on at least 3 seconds before I even acquired focus and started shooting. These are heavy crops at higher iso\'s, so the IQ is not excellent, but I thought some folks here would like to see this kind of unique behavior.
The following set is Dolly chasing Jimmy off to another area a few times. For a week, Jimmy was only allowed to perch in a distant corner of the farm, further away from the preferred hunting grounds. When he\'d come out late afternoon to hunt, she\'d chase him to another perch.

Herb

#1-5 Smack Down

Mar 02, 2014 at 01:45 PM

Previous versions of Herb Houghton's message #12174662 « Snowy Owl Smack Down and Bullying »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.