Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #12170457 « RX1(R) Image Thread »

zhangyue
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: RX1(R) Image Thread

Now more images in image thread.

A few mins later

Mar 01, 2014 at 05:07 PM
zhangyue
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: RX1(R) Image Thread

wayne seltzer wrote:
Michael, of course you can over-saturate all your images as much as you want.

Did I?

There are many things in processing an image that are subjective but can be over done. Like sharpening, at some point it gets oversharpened and too not natural.

Let me ask you one question: what do you look for in images posted here? Fault? I would not. Why I like some images here? Not because they are the way I wanted or they process to my like, but because I learn thing from them, I am looking for positive thing to improve my vision and skill.

Seems like people are less likely to take sharpening too far than color saturation and it seems more ok to tell someone it is over sharpened than over saturated and less likely for the photographer to get defensive.

Defensive? I think I have been as polite as I can. If you say: Michael, I feel your above image is over-saturated. I, of course welcome your criticism, I will explain my thought, or might even agree with you and may decide redo it. But not like: Hi, Wayne, your comments sound stupid or Your colorless images make me sleep….
Is the image oversaturated, maybe. But for 20-30 mins PP in LR, I of course can overdone it or if I do it again in another day, it will be totally different image. But I think the reason I want share the image is dramatic sunset which I don’t see every day. That is why I share it even not totally happy with the PP.

There is a definite trend in amateur photography and even nature shows on tv to over saturate the colors. People take pictures of sunsets with their iphone and then use a simple app to super saturate the colors and the post it on the net and some people think it is beautiful. Sorry, not me. At some point it becomes a unnatural creation in Photoshop.

What are you trying to imply? Standing up there and comment everyone else work is oversaturated or crunch sharpness? I would suggest you think differently, do you see anything interesting from those ‘overcooked’ image, can you learn something new from them? How about content, composition, lighting? I have learned so many things from younger generation in flickr as I feel they are very talented. They don’t give a dime about rule or what you think, they create thing for themselves.

As a coworker tells me, the oversaturation of color makes his eyes bleed.

Coworker? Who is your coworker? Why we care his opinion?

It is easy to say that adding lots of color saturation is a crutch just as people have said about bokeh and over use of shallow DOF.

Again, there were no overuses anything. Overuse is subjective term. For example, Thorsten Overgaard only use Leica WO, I don’t feel he overdid it. It is his style. There is no overuse or not but how you use it. Same with color and sharpness… You are yourself.

These are just my thoughts on the subject and plenty of people will disagree with me.

You can count me here

I always want to know if people think my images are not real looking because I have over processed something. I won't get offended and I want people to think my images are natural and not Photoshop creations.

Here are two thing:
One, Good to hear that you are open to criticism. But I guess it will depend on how we critic your images
2nd, Real? I don’t give a dime about real. Is Tri-X real? velvia real? Or portra real? Which photographer is famous because his work ‘real’ ? I desperate need ‘one’ example. I think I mentioned before: a 3D garbage can is still a garbage can. I am tired to see more realness since I am seeing it 16 hours a day, 365days a year. Bring me something unreal

Now more images in image thread.

A few mins later

Feb 28, 2014 at 06:24 PM

Previous versions of zhangyue's message #12170457 « RX1(R) Image Thread »