Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of bobbytan's message #12143564 « OM-D & PEN Images »

bobbytan
Upload & Sell: On
OM-D & PEN Images

Welcome to our little corner of the mirrorless world, Greg!

I switched from Canon FF to the E-M5 about a year and a half ago and I have not looked back. m43 is far from perfect then and it's far from perfect now. Sure there is some noise sometimes - especially if your image is slightly under-exposed and you try to increase your exposure in the shadow areas in post - but aside from that, you are really not giving up too much by going to m43 unless you had a 36MP body before. Even so, unless you are making very large prints or you have a habit of doing heavy cropping, you are not sacrificing too much.

With the recent announcement of the 7-14/2.8 and 150/4 lenses, the m43 system is maturing and you should be able to find some really good lenses across the entire focal range. Even though some of these fast lenses like the 42.5/1.2 Nocticron, Zuiko 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, and 150/2.8 PRO lenses are relatively big and heavy, they are significantly smaller and lighter than FF and even APS-C equivalent lenses. So just enjoy your m43 system, especially on your hikes and travels! We look forward to seeing more contributions from you.

Bobby

rxgolf wrote:

So much I would like to address with this post, but in order to keep it brief I will start with THANK YOU. First of all, I have admired many of your pictures posted on this thread, and actually you are one of the posters showing pics that made me want to try this camera! Second, I like you have tried many, many cameras and you nailed it when you told me that I need to concentrate on not focusing on the weaknesses of my flavor of the month, but work with and enjoy the strengths of the EM1.....and there are many! Thirdly, your detailed help about using NR with LR5( I do shoot only RAW) may prove to be what I need to get past the noise I am seeing in nearly every shot. Many of your shots, and others here are good enough for me, but mine after two days are not. Your thoughtfulness and time to post to me have made me realize that indeed my PP will have to change as I am trying to use my old ways with a new species.
I sincerely appreciate your time!
Greg

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:37 PM
bobbytan
Upload & Sell: On
OM-D & PEN Images

Welcome to our little corner of the mirrorless world, Greg!

I switched from Canon FF to the E-M5 about a year and a half ago and I have not looked back. m43 is far from perfect then and it's far from perfect now. Sure there is some noise sometimes - especially if your image is slightly under-exposed and you try to increase your exposure in the shadow areas in post - but aside from that, you are really not giving up too much by going to m43 unless you had a 36MP body before. Even so, unless you are making very large prints or you have a habit of doing heavy cropping, you are not sacrificing too much.

With the recent announcement of the 7-14/2.8 and 150/4 lenses, the m43 system is maturing and you should be able to find some really good lenses across the entire focal range. Even though some of these fast lenses like the 42.5/1.2 Nocticron, Zuiko 150/4 and 40-150/2.8 PRO lenses are relatively big and heavy, they are significantly smaller and lighter than FF and even APS-C equivalent lenses. So just enjoy your m43 system, especially on your hikes and travels! We look forward to seeing more contributions from you.

Bobby

rxgolf wrote:

So much I would like to address with this post, but in order to keep it brief I will start with THANK YOU. First of all, I have admired many of your pictures posted on this thread, and actually you are one of the posters showing pics that made me want to try this camera! Second, I like you have tried many, many cameras and you nailed it when you told me that I need to concentrate on not focusing on the weaknesses of my flavor of the month, but work with and enjoy the strengths of the EM1.....and there are many! Thirdly, your detailed help about using NR with LR5( I do shoot only RAW) may prove to be what I need to get past the noise I am seeing in nearly every shot. Many of your shots, and others here are good enough for me, but mine after two days are not. Your thoughtfulness and time to post to me have made me realize that indeed my PP will have to change as I am trying to use my old ways with a new species.
I sincerely appreciate your time!
Greg

Feb 17, 2014 at 01:33 PM

Previous versions of bobbytan's message #12143564 « OM-D & PEN Images »