Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of uhoh7's message #12125224 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »

uhoh7
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

edwardkaraa wrote:
Gary, Adam, Charles, thanks a lot for your comments. They are very helpful and enlightening.

Both systems have pros and cons. To mention only the cons, Leica's are price, unreliability, unavailability. While price, reliability and availability are actually Sony's strengths, the cons are also serious: no glass, problem with wides, both currently and in the future as the 24-70 weaknesses at the wide end do not bode well for future design.

So Leicas have frequent problems, they need occasional trips to Germany (and more than occasional to the local repairman), if you're not wealthy enough to keep back up bodies, you'll end up with no camera for a few months. It is exactly for this reason that I bought the A7. My camera was being sent for sensor change 1 month before Christmas, with no return date, and no back up. And that is what I think is the A7 strength, I can buy one anywhere, get it fixed locally in Thailand, and it's so cheap I can just throw one in the garbage every 6 months and buy the latest model.

So I will keep both (when I receive the M9 back) but I don't think I will upgrade to a Leica M 240 anytime soon, especially that it has its fair share of problems. To be fair, Leica has redeemed itself as fas as I'm concerned by fixing my camera faster than expected (it's on the way) and by providing me with a loaner (though 2 months late). I have to give them credit for that, despite everything.

Hilarious after our bickering we both end up with same camera set In the end you were right about the Sony sensors--but I had to see it for myself I never would have predicted you would be shooting the A7 so much---and very well too.

I am over the moon about my M9, love it more today than ever. Easy to ski with, fast to shoot, and it brings home the goods like nothing I've ever owned

PS My heart stopped sat, was shooting the kids on the chair and I reviewed to see all white frame. OMG I broke it already!! Not quite: it seems those teutons put the "B" right next to the "A"! Of course, a lock on the dial would be to complex, I guess.

Feb 10, 2014 at 03:53 AM
uhoh7

edwardkaraa wrote:
Gary, Adam, Charles, thanks a lot for your comments. They are very helpful and enlightening.

Both systems have pros and cons. To mention only the cons, Leica's are price, unreliability, unavailability. While price, reliability and availability are actually Sony's strengths, the cons are also serious: no glass, problem with wides, both currently and in the future as the 24-70 weaknesses at the wide end do not bode well for future design.

So Leicas have frequent problems, they need occasional trips to Germany (and more than occasional to the local repairman), if you're not wealthy enough to keep back up bodies, you'll end up with no camera for a few months. It is exactly for this reason that I bought the A7. My camera was being sent for sensor change 1 month before Christmas, with no return date, and no back up. And that is what I think is the A7 strength, I can buy one anywhere, get it fixed locally in Thailand, and it's so cheap I can just throw one in the garbage every 6 months and buy the latest model.

So I will keep both (when I receive the M9 back) but I don't think I will upgrade to a Leica M 240 anytime soon, especially that it has its fair share of problems. To be fair, Leica has redeemed itself as fas as I'm concerned by fixing my camera faster than expected (it's on the way) and by providing me with a loaner (though 2 months late). I have to give them credit for that, despite everything.

Hilarious after our bickering we both end up with same camera set In the end you were right about the Sony sensors--but I had to see it for myself I never would have predicted you would be shooting the A7 so much---and very well too.

I am over the moon about my M9, love it more today than ever. Easy to ski with, fast to shoot, and it brings home the goods like nothing I've ever owned

PS My heart stopped sat, was shooting the kids on the chair and I reviewed to see all white frame. OMG I broke it already!! Not quite: it seems those teutons put the "B" right next to the "A"!

Feb 10, 2014 at 03:52 AM
uhoh7

edwardkaraa wrote:

Feb 10, 2014 at 03:47 AM

Previous versions of uhoh7's message #12125224 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »