Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Gregg B.'s message #12039075 « Macro Light Painting »

Gregg B.
Upload & Sell: On
Macro Light Painting

bykhed wrote:
Amazing! Would you please describe the setup for this photo? Are the mushrooms on a glass plate?

Hey bykhed
Yes, I put them on the glass and under it I put a white cloth normally used for soft boxes. I did this in my room. I used my 100mm macro lens that I set to a manual mode (once I had my focus) and I set it to f/10. I turned the lights off and triggered the shutter. My camera was on a tripod waiting for 10 second for some light to get in. I used a simple pen flash (the one doctors use to illuminate people\'s retinas to see if they\'re still alive for example And I got one at Home Depot for a few dollars.) and with my hand kept on going around and around mushrooms I illuminated them until 10 seconds passed. I checked the shot.... If something wasn\'t right I redid it. You kind of have to play with it. If you leave your flash for too long at one location or you will often illuminating that location when you go around mushrooms, it may get overexposed. Bu no worries, you can take multiple shots and import them to your PS as layers and replace parts you don\'t like. Also, remember that white areas of mushrooms (or whatever you choose to light paint) will bounce off light faster and brighter so it\'ll get exposed faster (or overexposed).
It\'s a nice experiment, really, because you can understand how this \"light thing\" and camera\'s sensor works. Really cool stuff. Here is another one I took with just a simple smoke coming from the incense sticks. But for this shot all was the same except I used strobe to illuminate the smoke (that was hardly visible but became very visible when I turned the lights off in the room and took a shot).
I don\'t always have a time and money to travel to a nice locations so I kind of try to come up with these crazy home projects to keep on practicing...
Happy New Year.

Jan 02, 2014 at 08:03 PM

Previous versions of Gregg B.'s message #12039075 « Macro Light Painting »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.