Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of dgdg's message #11980918 « Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount »

dgdg
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount

If your main interest is deep sky objects, I think using a tripod and tracker is going to be fairly limiting if you want high quality imaging. Not that you can't have some nice stuff, but it depends on how demanding you will be on your images.

The astrotrac and wedge shines with wide to short telephoto astro landscapes. Certainly Fred and others have used 400 or 500 mm lenses on a crop body for some great shots, and I have done some as well, but again you are kinda pushing the envelope.

Even a bit of wind can mess up an image, so a sturdy tripod is a must. I use a 5 series tripod and found even with some gusty winds my short wide angle lens did very well.

You might be able to locate a local astronomy club that has a club telescope. You can start imaging with that and see what you think.

David

Dec 05, 2013 at 05:58 PM

Previous versions of dgdg's message #11980918 « Nightscapes using AstroTrac Tracking Mount »