Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Joshua Gull's message #11929934 « Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body? »

Joshua Gull
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body?

For me film accomplishes so much. I\'m a more thoughtful, purposeful photographer. I take better photographs. I nail my compositions much more precisely. I anticipate and I have much more intuitive timing. I\'m so much more aware and alert. I love the aesthetic so much more than the \"perfect\" (read: sterile) feel of my digital work.

Personally speaking I much prefer the more manual cameras, specifically medium format cameras. The aspect ratios are different than my dSLR, the feel is different, the operation is different, little to nothing is automated and I honestly feel like I\'m actively involved in the image-making process compared to just pushing a button or series of buttons when I shoot a dSLR. For me the 35mm SLRs like the EOS 3, 1V, F100, etc all feel too much like my dSLRs. The aspect ratio is the same, the feel is the same, the operation is largely the same and the only major difference is worse AF and no way to preview the images. Shooting more manual cameras that feel different and operate more slowly force me to be more involved in the process.

I guess I could compare it to driving a Cadillac sedan (dSLR, with all the bells and whistles) to a stripped down sports car like a Porsche 911 GT3 (medium format cameras like my Contax 645, Rolleiflex 2.8 or Pentax 67II or a 35mm rangefinder like my Leica M6 TTL). Both will get you to the same place (a destination or a final photograph) but it\'s HOW they get you there and the experience you have in the process that matters to some people. I personally love the experience of driving a true sports car (to me that\'s real driving) or operating a really nice film camera (to me that\'s real image making) compared to a plush couch-on-wheels sedan or dSLR with all the bells and whistles.

That\'s not to say an EOS 3 or 1V wouldn\'t be a great camera for you. EOS 3s are plagued with focus accuracy issues but the 1N and 1V are both great choices and you can make stellar images with them while utilizing your existing glass. But IMO you\'re missing out on half the experience of shooting film by going this route. You can pick up a Canon AE-1 and 50/1.8 for $50ish and make great images too but gain more in the experience department.

Nov 13, 2013 at 02:00 AM

Previous versions of Joshua Gull's message #11929934 « Semi OT, Should I get a Film Body? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.