Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Pixel Perfect's message #11918937 « Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens »

Pixel Perfect
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens

That MTF chart looks very good to me for a zoom. The 10mm lines give us a measure of contrast, the 30mm lines a measure of sharpness. Sagittal lines mean radial and Meridional mean circumferential. The good thing is it looks pretty good at 600mm.

here's the Sigma 50-500/150-500 MTF's for comparison. It looks like the Tamron is beating those two out. based on what my friend was showing me with his 50-500, which I was already surprised at how good it was, this might be a pretty darn good lens. Let's wait and see if the real world analysis backs this up.

I should add the fly in the ointment for the Tamron could be the bokeh at 600mm. The wide separation between the sagittal and meridional lines at 600mm could mean a harsher bokeh. usually good bokeh comes when these lines are closer together. it doesn't seem worse than the 150-500 however, so that may be a reference point.

Ah ok here's the Canon 100-400L MTF curves (note twice as many curves as it got two apertures measured)

Based on this alone the Tamron would be seen to be in with a good chance of being a good lens. It's bokeh doens't look like it'll be any worse and I've never complained about bokeh on my 100-400L

Nov 08, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Pixel Perfect

That MTF chart looks very good to me for a zoom. The 10mm lines give us a measure of contrast, the 30mm lines a measure of sharpness. Sagittal lines mean radial and Meridional mean circumferential. The good thing is it looks pretty good at 600mm.

here's the Sigma 50-500/150-500 MTF's for comparison. It looks like the Tamron is beating those two out. based on what my friend was showing me with his 50-500, which I was already surprised at how good it was, this might be a pretty darn good lens. Let's wait and see if the real world analysis backs this up.

I should add the fly in the ointment for the Tamron could be the bokeh at 600mm. The wide separation between the sagittal and meridional lines at 600mm could mean a harsher bokeh. usually good bokeh comes when these lines are closer together. it doesn't seem worse than the 150-500 however, so that may be a reference point.

Nov 08, 2013 at 02:57 AM
Pixel Perfect

Nov 08, 2013 at 02:35 AM

Previous versions of Pixel Perfect's message #11918937 « Tamron announces 150-600mm Ultra-Telephoto Zoom Lens »