Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11904378 « Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark

naturephoto1 wrote:
But it could be useful in taking one image where you are shooting as a reference point.

Rich

Agreed ... except that 30 seconds later as cloud formations change, or 10 minutes later (in the golden hours especially) as the sun position changes or when you move your camera/subject/lighting orientation, it is no longer valid to the same degree of accuracy. If I can get my neutrals, neutral (when that's my goal), the difference between a full blown color checker vs. white/gray/black reference likely falls within the limits of personal preference anyway.

If your lighting and orientation are stable, then a color checker holds more validity as a reference. But, if you are "on the move" ... or your lighting is ... it's accuracy may / may not hold to the degree it technically offers (i.e. micrometer vs. yardstick) as it does in the studio where your lighting is stable. Thus, you'd need to reshoot a new reference more than just the once to ensure its continued accuracy relevance.

Nov 01, 2013 at 09:29 PM
RustyBug

naturephoto1 wrote:
But it could be useful in taking one image where you are shooting as a reference point.

Rich

Agreed ... except that 30 seconds later as cloud formations change, or 10 minutes later (in the golden hours especially) as the sun position changes or when you move your camera/subject/lighting orientation, it is no longer valid to the same degree of accuracy. If I can get my neutrals, neutral (when that's my goal), the difference between a full blown color checker vs. white/gray/black reference likely fall within the limits of personal preference anyway.

If your lighting and orientation are stable, then it holds more validity as a reference. But, if you are "on the move" ... or your lighting is ... it's accuracy may / may not hold to the degree it technically offers (i.e. micrometer vs. yardstick) as it does in the studio where your lighting is stable. Thus, you'd need to reshoot a new reference more than just the once to ensure its continued accuracy relevance.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:56 PM
RustyBug

naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

Agreed ... except that 10 minutes later (in the golden hours especially) or when you move your camera/subject/lighting orientation, it is no longer valid to the same degree of accuracy. If I can get my neutrals, neutral (when that's my goal), the difference between a full blown color checker vs. white/gray/black reference likely fall within the limits of personal preference anyway.

If your lighting and orientation are stable, then it holds more validity as a reference. But, if you are "on the move" ... or your lighting is ... it's accuracy may / may not hold to the degree it technically offers (i.e. micrometer vs. yardstick) as it does in the studio where your lighting is stable. Thus, you'd need to reshoot a new reference more than just the once to ensure its continued accuracy relevance.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:54 PM
RustyBug

naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

Agreed ... except that 10 minutes later (in the golden hours especially) or when you move your camera/subject/lighting orientation, it is no longer valid to the same degree of accuracy.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:51 PM
RustyBug

naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

Agreed ... except that 10 minutes later (in the golden hours especially) or when you move your camera/subject/lighting orientation, it is no longer valid to the same degree of accuracy. If your lighting and orientation are stable, then it holds more validity as a reference. But, if you are "on the move" or your lighting is ... it's accuracy may / may not hold to the degree it technically offers as it does in the studio where your lighting is stable. Thus, you'd need to reshoot a new reference more than just the once to ensure its continued relevance.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:43 PM
RustyBug

naturephoto1 wrote:

Rich

Agreed ... except that 10 minutes later (in the golden hours especially) or when you move your camera/subject/lighting orientation, it is no longer valid to the same degree of accuracy. If your lighting and orientation are stable, then it holds more validity as a reference. But, if you are "on the move" ... it's accuracy may / may not hold to the degree it technically offers and you'd need to reshoot a new reference more than just the once to ensure it.

Nov 01, 2013 at 07:31 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11904378 « Sony A7R sensor gets high scores from DxOMark »