Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of ckcarr's message #11860329 « D800E Sharpening Workflow »

ckcarr
Upload & Sell: On
Re: D800E Sharpening Workflow

Well, you\'re way off from any setting I end up with, but not to say what\'s right or wrong. And I don\'t see anything wrong with either one of your images (I think you are showing off your pretty daughter!).

However, in-camera RAW settings are largely irrelevant to ACR and Photoshop. They are carried over to Nikon Capture NX2 though. You can set and save your most common ACR raw settings for each camera body within ACR though, which might give you a good starting point.

When I sharpen, and am still learning, my workflow is following steps recommended in some Photoshop books I\'ve read.

Under ACR:
I first set image size to either 100% or 200% (depending on image). Some books say just use 50% with the higher resolution cameras.

Then adjust color slider and color detail if needed to remove any odd pixel coloration.

Adjust luminance slider to remove and smooth any weirdness in the sky or other areas.

Hold down the [ALT] key while tweaking the Mask slider to isolate what I want sharpened.

Typically I leave the Radius at 1.0 (default) or set to .9

Hold down [ALT] key again and adjust detail to something I think I like.

Hold down [ALT] key again and adjust Amount looking at edges in higher contrast parts of the image.

Then fine tune by repeating the above.

I\'m only doing a landscape or animal though, one image at a time.
Someone else may offer more relevant advice for portraits, which are typically much softer...

When I open in Adobe CS6 I only tweak final sharpening a tiny bit, as most I do in ACR. And since I originally opened the file as a \"Smart Object\" I can go back in to ACR and fine tune if I\'ve totally botched up (double click the thumbnail).

I\'ve also noticed that my D7100 needs adjustment of luminance more than the D800e. Each body is different.

I\'m sure many will disagree with me, but everyone does things differently.

Now, if you sharpen in Nikon Capture NX2, everything is different. And it can sharpen to painful levels.

The hard thing in sharpening is really understanding what each slider isolates and adjusts.

Oct 13, 2013 at 04:06 PM
ckcarr

Well, you\'re way off from any setting I end up with, but not to say what\'s right or wrong. And I don\'t see anything wrong with either one of your images (I think you are showing off your pretty daughter!).

However, in camera RAW settings are largely irrelevant to ACR and Photoshop. They are carried over to Nikon Capture NX2 though. You can set and save your most common ACR raw settings for each camera body within ACR though, which might give you a good starting point.

When I sharpen, and am still learning, my workflow is following steps recommended in some Photoshop books I\'ve read.

Under ACR:
I first set image size to either 100% or 200% (depending on image). Some books say just use 50% with the higher resolution cameras.

Then adjust color slider and color detail if needed to remove any odd pixel coloration.

Adjust luminance slider to remove and smooth any weirdness in the sky or other areas.

Hold down the [ALT] key while tweaking the Mask slider to isolate what I want sharpened.

Hold down [ALT] key again and adjust Amount looking at edges in higher contrast parts of the image.

Someone else may offer more relevant advice for portraits, which are typically much softer...

When I open in Adobe CS6 I only tweak final sharpening a tiny bit, as most I do in ACR. And since I originally opened the file as a \"Smart Object\" I can go back in to ACR and fine tune if I\'ve totally botched up (double click the thumbnail).

I\'ve also noticed that my D7100 needs adjustment of luminance more than the D800e. Each body is different.

Now, if you sharpen in Nikon Capture NX2, everything is different. And it can sharpen to painful levels.

The hard thing in sharpening is really understanding what each slider isolates and adjusts.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM
ckcarr

However, in camera RAW settings are largely irrelevant to ACR and Photoshop. They are carried over to Nikon Capture NX2 though. You can set and save your most common ACR raw settings for each camera body within ACR though, which might give you a good starting point.

Under ACR:

Then adjust color slider and color detail if needed.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM
ckcarr

Under ACR:
I first set image size to either 100% or 200% (depending on image).
Then adjust color slider and color detail if needed.
Adjust luminance slider to remove and smooth any weirdness in the sky.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Previous versions of ckcarr's message #11860329 « D800E Sharpening Workflow »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.