Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of warrenjrphotog's message #11852423 « Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF? »

warrenjrphotog
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF?

Steve Spencer wrote:
I don\'t think the last poster was being serious at all. To the OP, I could add some more specificity to what it might take using Canon to get a good manual focus system. A good starter kit might like: 1) Canon 5D classic with the Ee-S screen; 2) an Olympus OM 28mm f/3.5; 3) a Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4 in M42 mount; and 4) a Nikon 105mm f/2.5 in Ai or AiS mount. You would also need an adapter for each of the lenses but these are readily available either on eBay or from a place like Fotodiox. Here is how the cost would break down. If you are patient you should be able to get all of them from the buy and sell board here. The 5D should cost about $500. The Olympus OM 28 f/3.5 $50 or less. The Pentax 50 f/1.4 about $75, and the Nikon 105 f/2.5 about $125. The Olympus OM adapter would be about $20, the M42 adapter about $10, and the Nikon F adapter about $25. So all together it would cost about $800 for this starter MF kit. You could sell your 40D and your AF 50 f/1.8 for about half that, so for about $400 or $450 you could move to a very good MF kit.

I really appreciate your input and your help. Your posts are also making me second guess my initial decisions though haha.

Could you weigh in your inputs on why a 5Dc might be a better choice or at least as good as the Nikon when it comes to manual focus (basically the ability to judge focus through the viewfinder)?

Do you have any (or rather, does any one posting in here?) experience with the D700 and how it\'s MF compares with the 5Dc with the precision focusing screen?

The main benefits that I see the D700 having is much better dynamic range, much better low light performance, and more customization.......unless I\'m mistaken of course.

Oct 09, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Previous versions of warrenjrphotog's message #11852423 « Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.