Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of AhamB's message #11850225 « Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF? »

AhamB
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF?

warrenjrphotog wrote:
garyvot wrote:
Canon is the best system for manual focus.

Could you give me some reasons of why it's the best system for manual focus?

I think he just means that some of the Canons have the option to use the S-type focusing screen and the live-view implementation used to be better than most other DSLR brands. When I had the 40D I didn't see much benefit from the Ef-S focusing screen, but on my 5D the Ee-S screen it helps more.

If you want the best manual focusing experience with an optical viewfinder, the Sony A900 or A850 should be the best option and it also has an "M" screen that is similar to the Canon screen. These Sonys have the biggest and brightest viewfinders, but they offer no live view, which a rather big loss.

Live view based focusing is the only way you're going to get really accurate and consistent manual focus and it can be done in two ways:

1) Use a DSLR with live view and something like a Zacuto Z-finder or Hoodman viewfinder loupe (attaches to the rear LCD). This won't work well with your 40D because it has a low resolution LCD. The 50D or 60D would be better.

2) Use a mirrorless camera. This should be the easiest for manual focus because it gives you full-time live view (without a mirror to flip up and down). Maybe you'll like something like the Sony NEX-6.

Oct 08, 2013 at 05:29 AM

Previous versions of AhamB's message #11850225 « Tired of Canon's AF System, Which DSLR is best for MF? »