Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of hiepphotog's message #11849497 « Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon »

hiepphotog
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon

JohnJ wrote:
EOS20 wrote:
Some Sample Photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlzeisslenses/sets/72157635236491881/

Why is there only one sample image at F1.4, the portrait? All the others are stopped down, so prove little.

I was curious to see how longitudinal CA, purple/green bokeh CA, Spherochromatism call it what you want, was with this lens but there is no useful image to show that aspect of performance, at any aperture where it would be an issue (it\'s not an issue at F5.6). The Leica R 50/1.4 E60 is particularly poor in this respect (based on my own tests), so I wonder if there will soon be a glut of them on the market? It might not be fair to compare the 2 lenses (as the Zeiss is clearly the \'better\' and more advanced lens) but the prices are not that far apart, and I think (not certain) the new price for the 50/1.4 E60 was higher than the Zeiss!

Also, I\'m not sure about the bokeh of the Zeiss. Maybe I haven\'t seen enough samples but I\'m not convinced yet. So far I\'ve noticed a fair few with a slightly double line effect, but maybe I\'m imagining it. It seems nice overall, but not ideal.

If you don\'t mind paying for the subscription, Lloyd Chambers should have all the shots you\'re looking for. He has been shooting with the prototype for a month. Other than that, I can say you don\'t have to worry about CA problem on this lens. But at $4000, your definition of satisfactory CA control might be different than mine.

Oct 07, 2013 at 05:30 PM

Previous versions of hiepphotog's message #11849497 « Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.