Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Almass's message #11848872 « Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon »

Almass
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Zeiss 55mm Distagon

I always get perplexed with the launch of a new lens by having people oohing and aahing how fantastic it is e.g. Sigma 35/1.4 and other people trashing the lens.

I don't mind either way as long as whomever does the so called testing is not economical with the truth.

Let us have a look at what we know so far:

1- It is an ugly lens
2- It is a heavy lens with a Nikon or Canon full frame bodies
3- It is an expensive lens
4- Do I expect sharpness. I sure do
5- Do I expect nice Bokeh. Yeps
6- Do I expect color IQ. You bet your bottom dollar I do
7- Does the test available confirm the expectations. It kind of does!!!! with a lot of reservation.

So what gives? What gives is this is exactly what I expect from a $4000 lens and this is what I get from the top CaNikon 50's in all their variations ...to some extent at a lower price point.

What would be the litmus test with a lens with a trillion coating and triple bypass quality control and more specifically layers upon layers of APO corrected glass.
I would like to see a long shot of lights illuminating a street and a close up of the light as to how they are rendered whether cat eyes or more towards a circle. Call it Ca CM CI or whatever Cee you like.

Until then, wake me up when someone bother to do a "real" test of this lens preferably a side by side test and not a "shoot as you talk" lens test.

Oct 07, 2013 at 05:12 PM

Previous versions of Almass's message #11848872 « Official: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 APO-Distagon »