Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Tarocco's message #11846387 « f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open »

Tarocco
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open

sebboh wrote:
Tarocco wrote:
Here's a few wide open portraits with the Zuiko 50 1.2. Just when I think this lens isn't worth the trouble...

fantastic shots! what trouble?

Nothing really specific to this lens but just the usual challenges with shooting a legacy f1.2 50mm gets frustrating sometimes. Lots of chromatic aberration wide open and it really needs just the right light. I've also never had much luck with critical sharpness at focal points past about 6 feet. I have a late Zuiko 50 1.4 that is much more forgiving wide open so it's hard to justify that extra half a stop sometimes. No one shows their failures in this thread and I have many! But of course there's a look only a 50 1.2 gets you and there really is no substitute. The Zuiko might be harder to work with due to compromises in optical quality to keep it small - it's amazingly tiny for such a fast SLR lens.

Couple more shots:

Oct 06, 2013 at 05:08 AM

Previous versions of Tarocco's message #11846387 « f/1.2 or faster lenses wide open »