Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of aboudd's message #11819594 « Another Scam alert - foreign sellers »

aboudd
Upload & Sell: On
Another Scam alert - foreign sellers

I don\'t know if scammers are keying in on WTB ads or not, it would make sense, but I thought I would relat this recent experience. I posted WTB for a couple of different Canon lenses. A response came from Spain, the 24-70MM F4 lens I wanted was offered to me at a too-good-to-be-true price, complete with photos, from the original owner, who told me he wanted a wire or Western Union payment. Not having just fallen off a turnip truck I wrote back and told the seller that I would only use paypal. He then wrote back and said it was acceptable. I asked for a history on the lens, he sent Canon\'s technical description of the lens - I would guess right from their web page. I wrote again and asked, as this lens was supposed to NIB, if he had the receipt. He said no. I asked him if he could send me the date code and some references. He said he had no references and didn\'t have the date code. I took that to mean he didn\'t have a lens either. I never heard from him again.

A day later I got another inquiry, asking me if I had found a lens. I said that the only offer I got seemed like a scam from Spain. I never heard from him again.

Today I got another inquiry from the U.K. I responded with the usual questions, e.g. are you the original owner, do you have receipt? etc., It hasn\'t played out long enough to find out if it is another scammer, but a pattern seems to be emerging.

UPDATE: Follow up email to the UK asking if there was a lens for sale or not yielded no response. I guess it was another scammer.

As usual - buyer beware.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:42 AM
aboudd
Upload & Sell: On
Another Scam alert

I don\'t know if scammers are keying in on WTB ads or not, it would make sense, but I thought I would relat this recent experience. I posted WTB for a couple of different Canon lenses. A response came from Spain, the 24-70MM F4 lens I wanted was offered to me at a too-good-to-be-true price, complete with photos, from the original owner, who told me he wanted a wire or Western Union payment. Not having just fallen off a turnip truck I wrote back and told the seller that I would only use paypal. He then wrote back and said it was acceptable. I asked for a history on the lens, he sent Canon\'s technical description of the lens - I would guess right from their web page. I wrote again and asked, as this lens was supposed to NIB, if he had the receipt. He said no. I asked him if he could send me the date code and some references. He said he had no references and didn\'t have the date code. I took that to mean he didn\'t have a lens either. I never heard from him again.

A day later I got another inquiry, asking me if I had found a lens. I said that the only offer I got seemed like a scam from Spain. I never heard from him again.

Today I got another inquiry from the U.K. It hasn\'t played out long enough to find out if it is another scammer, but a pattern seems to be emerging.

As usual - buyer beware.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Previous versions of aboudd's message #11819594 « Another Scam alert - foreign sellers »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.