Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of PetKal's message #11798207 « BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L »

PetKal
Upload & Sell: On
BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L

This was shot with handheld 1DX + 200-400L @ 300mm.

I could have perhaps gotten a better shot with 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8 primes, however, the risk of flawed captures would have been higher than at 300mm FL where I had a pretty good leeway vis a vis framing and AF, although I ended up having to crop more.

All in all, the strength of the zoom played a role here in that I could choose an optimum FL for a relatively low risk capture, and yet not lose too much detail/IQ.
I guess, that's where I am finding the sweet spot of 200-400L: FL optimisation from one moment to another, which is obvious for any zoom, yet it is nice when such utility is demonstrated in practice, particularly for someone like myself who has been shooting long primes almost exclusively..

Sep 11, 2013 at 11:45 AM
PetKal
Upload & Sell: On
BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L

This was shot with handheld 1DX + 200-400L @ 300mm.

I could have perhaps gotten a better shot with 500 f/4 or 400 f/2.8 primes, however, the risk of flawed captures would have been higher than at 300mm FL where I had a pretty good leeway vis a vis framing and AF, although I ended up having to crop more.

All in all, the strength of the zoom played a role here in that I could choose an optimum FL for a relatively low risk capture, and yet not lose too much detail/IQ.
I guess, that's where I am finding the sweet spot of 200-400L: FL optimisation from one moment to another, which is obvious for any zoom, yet it is nice when such utility is demonstrated in practice, particularly for someone like myself who has been shooting long primes almost exclusively..

Sep 10, 2013 at 06:34 PM

Previous versions of PetKal's message #11798207 « BIF+FIB-ing with 200-400L »