Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of david russell's message #11792456 « Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel »

david russell
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Is it really that quiet on here today?

Well Brian, I was sitting here this evening reflecting on my flying......I took a gentleman named Bill on his first ever glider flight yesterday. Bill is, amongst other things, one of the pilots of "fifi" and a very high time pilot. He did an amazing job of flying the second half of the tow and cored several thermals like a pro. The man is a good stick.

As we flew, the obvious questions came up: "how do we know we can make the airport?", " what if the wind changes?", "what if the runway is blocked?" "What if the rope breaks down low? and so on. Some of the answers seemed to unsettle him and he was actually pretty tense during the approach to land. It became obvious that along with being a good stick, that he was very CRM and procedure oriented....very.

I'm sitting here tonight thinking that while I would give my left.....well anything.... to get the same hour of stick time in fifi that he got in my glider, I having no interest in flying anything that is so procedure driven. I like a bit of the unknown, the solo flight and the real time risk management that seems to go with flying gliders.

But man....fifi? If only I could get an hour in the right seat of that thing....

Enough thinking for tonight.....gotta fly in the morning.

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:08 AM

Previous versions of david russell's message #11792456 « Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel »