Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11782997 « Looking forward for feedback and critics »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Looking forward for feedback and critics

That\'s why I prefer using the Color Balance layer. It is a pretty easy thing to read the numbers and see that 120,127,127 needs 7 points more Red to equal 127,127,127 (i.e. mechanical). Realizing that you could also pull down the Green and Blue channels by 7 points each to yield 120, 120, 120 or add 10 points Red, 3 points Green, 3 points Blue for 130,130,130 or go +4,-3,-3 for 124,124,124.

In that regard, it gives you finer control ... as well as the ability to target/weight the influence toward shadows/mids/highlights. Sat hue doesn\'t give you that kind of control ... at least not nearly as \"mechanically\". Follow this with a \"blend if\" to restrict a given tonal range when you have mixed lighting and you can usually dial things in pretty good.

Many folks set black points and white points for their tonal values independently, but few will bother to set their hue values independently ... most dive-bombing onto white and letting everything else fall where it may. Imo, this is fine for snaps and blogs, etc. But for fine printing ... not evaluating your low/mid/high tonal range neutrals independently is leaving too much to risk at where they\'ll fall if you make an adjustment to one, but not the others.

It\'s certainly not a \"click here\" WB convenience, but I find it the preferable way to asses/correct/adjust my colors before proceeding on to the styling/taste aspect. Imo, if your neutrals aren\'t neutral ... you might be telling on yourself ... unless your artistic rendering/lighting clearly tells the viewer that they aren\'t supposed to be neutral.

Even if not perfect, every little bit helps to give the viewers eye/brain information from which to see the image. That\'s why for some images, the color balance of the light remains uncorrected to reveal the color of the light and others are corrected to reveal the color of the subject under neutral light. As long as you align your WB to your message/intent (imo), either can be fine.

Sep 03, 2013 at 11:07 AM
RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Looking forward for feedback and critics

That\'s why I prefer using the Color Balance layer. It is a pretty easy thing to read the numbers and see that 120,127,127 needs 7 points more Red to equal 127,127,127 (i.e. mechanical). Realizing that you could also pull down the Green and Blue channels by 7 points each to yield 120, 120, 120 or add 10 points Red, 3 points Green, 3 points Blue for 130,130,130 or go +4,-3,-3 for 124,124,124.

In that regard, it gives you finer control ... as well as the ability to target/weight the influence toward shadows/mids/highlights. Sat hue doesn\'t give you that kind of control ... at least not nearly as \"mechanically\". Follow this with a \"blend if\" to restrict a given tonal range when you have mixed lighting and you can usually dial things in pretty good.

It\'s certainly not a \"click here\" WB convenience, but I find it the preferable way to asses/correct/adjust my colors before proceeding on to the styling/taste aspect. Imo, if your neutrals aren\'t neutral ... you might be telling on yourself ... unless your artistic rendering/lighting clearly tells the viewer that they aren\'t supposed to be neutral.

Even if not perfect, every little bit helps to give the viewers eye/brain information from which to see the image. That\'s why for some images, the color balance of the light remains uncorrected to reveal the color of the light and others are corrected to reveal the color of the subject under neutral light. As long as you align your WB to your message/intent (imo), either can be fine.

Sep 03, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11782997 « Looking forward for feedback and critics »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.