TMaG82
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX

sflxn wrote:
TMaG82 wrote:
edwardkaraa wrote:
Not too bad IMO.

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/topic100871_post1203883.html#1203883

I know that the poster was trying out both the new camera and lens but I would\'ve liked to see at least a few samples shot on a NEX-7 or 6.

I\'m really digging the m4/3 system right now and I\'m awaiting the E-M1. I was invested in the NEX camp for a while and it seemed like everything was just good enough, but nothing really exciting. The last few models out of the m4/3 camp have combined a lot of features that make it seem like a more mature system. What the GX7 has scheduled with the peaking, magnified view, touch AF, low light AF down to -4EV, etc is really exciting. The higher end NEX still doesn\'t have touch screen. And the wifi remote shooting on the 6 is just blah. I\'m really interested to see what the next higher end NEX APS-C has in store. If it doesn\'t have touch screen, better remote shooting, etc then they\'re still resort to doing just enough.

I won\'t argue with the gizmo-esque quality of m43. They do appeal to the gadget nerds in all of us. However, for some of us, it comes down to IQ and handling. For those two points, I still prefer NEX over Fuji X and m43. I do hope Sony ups their game on the higher end NEX. It does frustrates me that Sony comes out with minor releases of the NEX 3 and 5 every year, and there is no signs of an updated NEX 7. With NEX, Sony has been even more conservatively incremental than Canon has been with their DSLRs. I think part of the reason is that out of all the camera makers, only Sony has divided attention. They dabble in everything and are too stubborn to give up on losing battles. Contrast to Canon\'s and Nikon\'s more decisive reduction of exposure to P&S and mirrorless, Sony just seems unfocused. Personally, I believe they should consolidate to RX and NEX cameras. If they did that, we\'ll see much more focused product design and releases.

I do agree that everyone has different priorities and it changes constantly. Previously I was all about IQ, I dabbles in Canon and Nikon FF systems, I had the RX1 on 2 different occasions. For me at least right[/I] now I want speed, convenience, and the tools to make the job fun. Every camera has its quirks and no doubt will have things that make you want to scratch your head. The convenience of having a touch screen for AF, the smaller size thus smaller lenses to handle, the quick and accurate AF, etc re what makes me choose m4/3 right now, I tried the Fuji X series and I couldn\'t get past the sluggish AF and while the photog in me appreciated the manual control, I was looking for quicker execution. The NEX had the great Zeiss 24 at the time but was lacking in both the lenses and some of the convenient extras and I found it missing focus more than I would like.

For me the trade off in IQ is ok. I don\'t need to shoot at ultra shallow DoF, in fact it made shooting with the RX1 a little more difficult for me since shooting at f2 would be a little more difficult for me to get precise focus. The m4/3 combined with the 1.4 and even the .95 lenses allow me to get bokeh when I need.

I know my needs may change when I need DSLR speed AF in a few years or when I want FF-NEX type IQ. but right now I\'m having a blast with m4/3 and may end up with both the rangefinder style, gimmicky GX7 as well as the pro built, E-M1. My wife sure wont be happy then.

Aug 28, 2013 at 06:05 AM

Previous versions of TMaG82's message #11770601 « Zeiss 16-70 f4 for NEX »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.