Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of jay tieger's message #11736445 « What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase? »

jay tieger
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

jcolwell wrote:
Nice lenses. I never could decide which I liked better; the Series 1 70-210/2.8-4 Macro VMC [Komine] or the Series 1 70-210/3.5 Macro VMC [Kino]. I think the Komine had slightly better IQ, but the Kino was super tank! (I think this came up a few pages back in time.)

Yes...(I think this came up a few pages back in time.)....that was ALSO ME....very strange/serendipity...I hadn't been on gear forums for a while...to avoid GAS lust, esp. regarding the newly issued 35mm-formfactor sensor bods...then I happen on to a couple of MF forums and read about the Series 1, and that very week I find the Kino, and 3 weeks later I find the Komine versions of the 70-210...pristine samples at that...

Both render color and contrast VERY well....as good as I've experienced with my Nikkors....VERY surprised, very pleased...these are my 1st MF zoom lenses and I'm happy to have found them...

After shooting with them I've concluded that the heavier Kino "fits" me better...it's heft is steadier in my hands and (for some unknown reason) easier on my eye's ability to focus...IQ-wise I see no significant difference, any being more a factor of ME and my technique rather than with the technology...

Interestingly, I found the MF more useful in the "wild" where branches, leaves, grass all confuse AF's ability to identify what I want in focus...MF is much quicker/more accurate for me...perhaps if I had pro-bodies and pro-lenses their AF would be better in the dense brush of the woods...but for me the MF works just fine...

Aug 12, 2013 at 03:17 AM
jay tieger
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase?

jcolwell wrote:
Nice lenses. I never could decide which I liked better; the Series 1 70-210/2.8-4 Macro VMC [Komine] or the Series 1 70-210/3.5 Macro VMC [Kino]. I think the Komine had slightly better IQ, but the Kino was super tank! (I think this came up a few pages back in time.)

Yes...(I think this came up a few pages back in time.)....that was ALSO ME....very strange/serendipity...I hadn't been on gear forums for a while...to avoid GAS lust, esp. regarding the newly issued 35mm-formfactor sensor bods...then I happen on to a couple of MF forums and read about the Series 1, and that very week I find the Kino, and 3 weeks later I find the Komine versions of the 70-210...pristine samples at that...

Both render color and contrast VERY well....as good as I've experienced with my Nikkors....VERY surprised, very pleased...these are my 1st MF zoom lenses and I'm happy to have found them...

After shooting with them I've concluded that the heavier Kino "fits" me better...it's heft is steadier in my hands and (for some unknown reason) easier on my eye's ability to focus...IQ-wise I see no significant difference, any being more a factor of ME and my technique rather than with the technology....here's an example where the MF came in handy...and note how well the Kino handles this back-lighting...

Interestingly, I found the MF more useful in the "wild" where branches, leaves, grass all confuse AF's ability to identify what I want in focus...MF is much quicker/more accurate for me...perhaps if I had pro-bodies and pro-lenses their AF would be better in the dense brush of the woods...but for me the MF works just fine...

Aug 11, 2013 at 09:51 PM

Previous versions of jay tieger's message #11736445 « What is your most recent (alt) lens purchase? »