Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11721357 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose asked for a test of the 15 5.6 and the 15 3.5. The two 15s in this photo, these are the actual lenses:

all the short wide nikon nikkor lenses 8mm 15mm 16mm 18mm 20mm by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The following photos are full res in flickr if you care to check them. These lenses are worth testing at 5.6, 8 and 11. Other apertures do not need to be used.

My observations: outdoors or on a much bigger location the 15mm 3.5 will be sharper over more of the frame as it has a flatter field of focus. Indoors or in a small location the 15mm 5.6 which has more curvature of field, extends focus very nicely to the sides of the frame and is much better than the 15mm 3.5. The 5.6 has a yellower color rendition. The 3.5 has a tendency for blobs in adverse light, much more than the 5.6. Any observations apply to these two samples only.

Which one would I use? the 5.6 in smaller locations and adverse light, the 3.5 in bigger locations with favorable lighting (light from behind). Both are very usable, I am sure there are better lenses but these can create beautiful photos, as you have seen.

These are full res in flickr, first the two samples from the 5.6, then the two from the 3.5.

nikon nikkor 15mm 5.6 at f8 sample farther by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 5.6 at f8 sample by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Note how the 3.5 has cooler rendition, camera is set to the same color balance, this is not too important for digital

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f8 sample farther by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Note how in closer quarters the 3.5 does not extend sharpness to the wall as nicely as the 5.6 does, also note the ugly blob at the bottom left in contrarian light that the 5.6 did not have

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f8 sample by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Having said all of this about the 3.5, light does not get more contrarian than the photo below, to me it looks quite fine.

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 f11 D800 Rancho Guajome bell by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Aug 04, 2013 at 04:54 AM
rafaelcasd
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Manual Focus Nikon Glass

Jose asked for a test of the 15 5.6 and the 15 3.5. The two 15s in this photo, these are the actual lenses:

all the short wide nikon nikkor lenses 8mm 15mm 16mm 18mm 20mm by Rafael CA, on Flickr

The following photos are full res in flickr if you care to check them. These lenses are worth testing at 5.6, 8 and 11. Other apertures do not need to be used.

My observations: outdoors or on a much bigger location the 15mm 3.5 will be sharper over more of the frame as it has a flatter field of focus. Indoors or in a small location the 15mm 5.6 which has more curvature of field, extends focus very nicely to the sides of the frame and is much better than the 15mm 3.5. The 5.6 has a yellower color rendition. The 3.5 has a tendency for blobs in adverse light, much more than the 5.6. Any observations apply to these two samples only.

Which one would I use? the 5.6 in smaller locations and adverse light, the 3.5 in bigger locations with favorable lighting (light from behind). Both are very usable, I am sure there are better lenses but these can create beautiful photos, as you have seen.

These are full res in flickr, first the two samples from the 5.6, then the two from the 3.5.

nikon nikkor 15mm 5.6 at f8 sample farther by Rafael CA, on Flickr

nikon nikkor 15mm 5.6 at f8 sample by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Note how the 3.5 has cooler rendition, camera is set to the same color balance, this is not too important for digital

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f8 sample farther by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Note how in closer quarters the 3.5 does not extend sharpness to the wall as nicely as the 5.6 does, also note the ugly blob at the bottom left in contrarian light that the 5.6 did not have

nikon nikkor 15mm 3.5 at f8 sample by Rafael CA, on Flickr

Aug 04, 2013 at 03:56 AM

Previous versions of rafaelcasd's message #11721357 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »