Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of hmzimelka's message #11704472 « Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it? »

hmzimelka
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?

millsart wrote:
3rd image is fantastic

Do you really find much benefit in shooting with a red filter vs just using SPP and selecting the color channel you want ?

Seems like that would basically give you the same effect, no ?

Thank you.

Yes, the dark red filter creates a far stronger effect I could ever achieve in SPP, and besides this, there isn't an increase in noise like when only the red channel is selected in SPP. Using a red filter, the channel mixer can be left unchanged.

The only draw back to shooting with a strong red filter with the Monochrome WB, is that the LCD preview and JPG previews in playback look absolutely terrible; flat washed out grey. However, once the RAW file is opened in SPP, they look how one would expect.

The interesting thing is, that shooting with a red filter and that terrible grey LCD preview, is that any clipping in the red channel appears as white, which is in strong contrast to the darker grey image in general. This makes it quite easy to determine correct exposure.

Here is how the preview looks in camera and in the image browser of SPP.

Here is the same image after initial rendering in SPP (X3F Defaults)

Jul 26, 2013 at 07:21 AM

Previous versions of hmzimelka's message #11704472 « Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it? »