Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11702981 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »

Mitch Alland
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

rsolti13 wrote:
Mitch, never really liked Nik Color Efex. I like Silver Efex...but with VSCO I find myself using Silver Efex even less for the B/W I do. I am finally starting to get comfortable processing B/W in LR.

With VSCO, it really doesn't matter if you start with high/low contrast files. For instance, for Kodak Portra (which I use the most) VSCO has one-click options for high contrast, low contrast, low clarity, etc. It literally has 5 different presets for just Portra 160....for each NC and VC. I use that as the starting point, from there I will adjust as needed. I find more than anything, VSCO gives you an idea of how the image best looks. There are over 100 different samples you can click on to get an idea of how your final image will look, which I find very valuable. I will say, I use VSCO Film 01 and 02 for 90+% of the time I use VSCO presets. There are rarely times when 03 is used...

rsolti13, thanks. I agree Color Efex is only useful if you want some extreme effects. If you apply the Kodachrome preset, for example, you have to them desaturate the reds. As for Silver Efex,, for M-Monochrom files I also prefer to process in LR.

VSCO looks very interesting and I'll have to try it.

—Mitch/Pak Nam Pran
Bangkok Hysteria (download link for book project)

Jul 25, 2013 at 03:44 PM

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11702981 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »