Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of xcel730's message #11697095 « Does anyone here use AdoramaPix for their wedding albums? »

xcel730
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Does anyone here use AdoramaPix for their wedding albums?

I've used Adoramapix mainly for my personal album (e.g., family and travel). However, I've sold 6 albums for newborn / children photography sessions that I've done. All of my clients simply love them and commented how much better the album looked in comparison to what they do themselves.

From what I know, Adoramapix cost more than the standard consumer labs (e.g., Shutterfly, MyPublisher, Blurb, etc). However, their quality is so much better. They are printed on lustre photo paper and are thicker than the press print book style from the other labs.

A few positives:

1. In my opinion, the price to quality ratio is really great. You're getting a lot of bang for your buck

2. They are one of the few vendors that I'm aware of that offer true gutterless layflat books at this price. I love panorama two-page spreads and it helps that there's no gutter in the middle.

3. The pages are thick and are printed on Fuji photo paper, which feels much higher quality than the press book style albums.

4. Adoramapix flash-based software is really easy to use. I use InDesign for the past few years for my album design, but awhile back, when I didn't know how to use InDesign, I simply design my album in Adoramapix. I remember it was such an easy to use software (though occasionally buggy). I did all the designs manually, but Adoramapix has a lot of templates to choose from.

5. Speed - They typically finish assembling the album within 3 days. From my recollection, all of the albums came within 1 week of ordering.

A few negatives though:

1. The front / back cover are photographic paper as well. They scratch fairly easily, so you have to be careful with handling. Definitely opt to get the "boutique packaging", which is about $8 more but protects the album.

2. The front / back cover have a metallic sheen, so anything that's white are easily blown out, so you have to bring the exposure down just a tad for the covers.

3. One of my album that is about 3 years old and I've opened / closed it perhaps 20-30 times in the past 3 years and there are signs of crease on the cover.

4. One of my album that is about 1 year old and a small section of the gluing that glues the album pages to the back cover seem to be coming off a little. (may need to contact Adorampix to see if I can resolve that myself).

5. One way Adoramapix keep the price low is by having set number of pages. You can create a photo album that has 26, 38, 50 or 76 pages. I've been in situations where I have 52 pages and struggle to get rid of that one spread (two pages) or in situations where I have 48 pages and I have to create a mediocre spread to hit the 50 page mark.

6. Occasionally, I find the color to be a little duller than I would like. It's almost like they reduced a bit saturation and contrast when printing. Note, Adoramapix does my color corrections for the albums that I found to be duller. They do have an ICC color profile that you can download and if you calibrate your monitor correctly, you can choose NOT to have Adoramapix do your color corrections.

For me, Adoramapix is a good value album and I still use them for myself and clients. I use other vendors as well, but I fully understand that I will be paying at least double or triple the price of Adoramapix.

The best advice is to get their smaller size album as a sample (especially when they have discounts) and make an album for yourself. You sort of have to see it in person to appreciate it.

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:32 PM
xcel730

I've used Adoramapix mainly for my personal album (e.g., family and travel). However, I've sold 6 albums for newborn / children photography sessions that I've done. All of my clients simply love them and commented how much better the album looked in comparison to what they do themselves.

From what I know, Adoramapix cost more than the standard consumer labs (e.g., Shutterfly, MyPublisher, Blurb, etc). However, their quality is so much better. They are printed on lustre photo paper and are thicker than the press print book style from the other labs.

A few positives:

1. In my opinion, the price to quality ratio is really great. You're getting a lot of bang for your buck

2. Adoramapix flash-based software is really easy to use. I use InDesign for the past few years for my album design, but awhile back, when I didn't know how to use InDesign, I simply design my album in Adoramapix. I remember it was such an easy to use software (though occasionally buggy). I did all the designs manually, but Adoramapix has a lot of templates to choose from.

3. Speed - They typically finish assembling the album within 3 days. From my recollection, all of the albums came within 1 week of ordering.

A few negatives though:

1. The front / back cover are photographic paper as well. They scratch fairly easily, so you have to be careful with handling. Definitely opt to get the "boutique packaging", which is about $8 more but protects the album.

2. The front / back cover have a metallic sheen, so anything that's white are easily blown out, so you have to bring the exposure down just a tad for the covers.

3. One of my album that is about 3 years old and I've opened / closed it perhaps 20-30 times in the past 3 years and there are signs of crease on the cover.

4. One of my album that is about 1 year old and a small section of the gluing that glues the album pages to the back cover seem to be coming off a little. (may need to contact Adorampix to see if I can resolve that myself).

5. One way Adoramapix keep the price low is by having set number of pages. You can create a photo album that has 26, 38, 50 or 76 pages. I've been in situations where I have 52 pages and struggle to get rid of that one spread (two pages) or in situations where I have 48 pages and I have to create a mediocre spread to hit the 50 page mark.

For me, Adoramapix is a good value album and I still use them for myself and clients. I use other vendors as well, but I fully understand that I will be paying at least double or triple the price of Adoramapix.

The best advice is to get their smaller size album as a sample (especially when they have discounts) and make an album for yourself. You sort of have to see it in person to appreciate it.

Jul 23, 2013 at 03:22 PM
xcel730

A few positives:

2. Adoramapix flash-based software is really easy to use. I use InDesign for the past few years for my album design, but awhile back, when I didn't know how to use InDesign, I simply design my album in Adoramapix. I remember it was such an easy to use software (though occasionally buggy). I did all the designs manually, but Adoramapix has a lot of templates to choose from.

3. Speed - They typically finish assembling the album within 3 days. From my recollection, all of the albums came within 1 week of ordering.

A few negatives though:

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Previous versions of xcel730's message #11697095 « Does anyone here use AdoramaPix for their wedding albums? »