Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11691767 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »

Mitch Alland
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Here is (probably) the final batch of night street pictures taken in a small street (Chula Soi 5) where there is a strip of some twenty restaurants, mostly not air conditioned, of a type that is beginning to disappear in Bangkok. Started by a Chinese immigrant, mostly Teochew (Chaozhou in Mandarin, Chuichow in Cantonese) and his Thai wife, these restaurants created a new, unique and excellent cuisine. This area is owned by Chulalongkorn University, which is now taking back the land for redevelopment. Next week all the restaurants have to close down. Some are moving to other parts of town; other ones are moving to side streets. Twenty years ago there were very many restaurants of this type all over Bangkok, but many have closed down or have become modern, fancy places — much more expensive and with the food not as good as before. Incidentally, some fifteen years ago I went to a Chuichow restaurant in San Fransisco and spoke in Thai when I found that the family owners were immigrants from Bangkok — they refused to let me pay for the meal.

As mentioned earlier the point of this series of postings is to show that the poor low-ISO reputation that the M9 suffers from is essentially a myth; and that, by shooting at ISO 640 and "pushing" in post the image quality (lower noise) and the colors are so good that the M9, contrary to common wisdom, is a good camera for night photography. I started an LUF thread on this technique that created a good deal of enthusiasm and wonder whether I should create a thread on this on this forum and perhaps on RFF as well? After reading the thread a few people that used the M9 only for day shots decided to also use it for night shots instead of, say, the 5D3.

No. 11 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 12 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.35 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 13 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

No. 14 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.65 stops | f/4.0 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

No. 15 | Elmarit-21 ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 1.0 stops | f/2.8 | 1/90 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 20, 2013 at 02:54 AM

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11691767 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »