Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of rscheffler's message #11669803 « Leica M/X/T Picture Thread »

rscheffler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Doug, you're not doing your research!!

As mentioned, 'a few years' back (more like late 40s-60s) Canon and Nikon made lenses in Leica's screw mount, which with a simple adapter can be used on all M series cameras and retain rangefinder focusing. There were also lenses from other now lesser known brands. The Contax rangefinder was based on a different bayonet style mount system that Nikon adopted for its own line of cameras (though with very slightly different specs), and those lenses require a different kind of adapter to use on Leica and retain rangefinder focusing, which is what Joe and I have done with our Contax lenses. But the easiest by far is Leica thread mount (LTM) to M mount.

Here's Canon's site for it's old 'S' system lenses, in Leica LTM. So when I've referred to my newly acquired Canon 35/2 LTM and 50/1.4 LTM, it's these lenses. Same with Ryan's 100/2.

Edward, just checked a couple of my ZM lenses and the mount screw positions seem to match. I think it's just a matter of taking one off and putting on the new one. Only concern would be mount thickness variation and whether shimming might be required. But I think it would be safe to just give it a try and see if you get sharp infinity focus. If not, bring it to the tech you have looking at your 85/2. BTW, how is that progressing?

P.S. I have never tried this myself.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:15 PM
rscheffler
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Doug, you're not doing your research!!

As mentioned, 'a few years' back (more like late 40s-60s) Canon and Nikon made lenses in Leica's screw mount, which with a simple adapter can be used on all M series cameras and retain rangefinder focusing. There were also lenses from other now lesser known brands. The Contax rangefinder was based on a different bayonet style mount system that Nikon adopted for its own line of cameras (though with very slightly different specs), and those lenses require a different kind of adapter to use on Leica and retain rangefinder focusing, which is what Joe and I have done with our Contax lenses. But the easiest by far is Leica thread mount (LTM) to M mount.

Here's Canon's site for it's old 'S' system lenses, in Leica LTM. So when I've referred to my newly acquired Canon 35/2 LTM and 50/1.4 LTM, it's these lenses. Same with Ryan's 100/2.

Jul 09, 2013 at 04:13 PM

Previous versions of rscheffler's message #11669803 « Leica M/X/T Picture Thread »