Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11666386 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »

Mitch Alland
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

Here is the final installment of the color night pictures taken at ISO 640 and "pushed" in Lightroom 5, to complement the set I posted in xxx, which followed up on the set in yyy. In doing black and white, I basically like expressionist photography, but have always felt that I never went far enough in that direction, always holding back somewhat towards "reality" — and in color holding back even more because colors can get weird very fast, not going where you want them to, when you try something unusual. So you can see where I'm coming from with all these night pictures: not only can night pictures, sometimes lit by several different type if light, create beautiful colors, but our vision at night can create some shimmering effects that can be well represented by grain, and has been done so in color film photography for a long time.

A year or so ago, I started a thread on RFF in which I was trying to achieve "expressive color" with the Ricoh GXR and, eventually, when I got the M-Module for that camera, I settled down to developing with Raw Photo Processor (RPP) and its Kodachrome preset. Not bad, but it often required a lot of effort for the processing. My experience with the M9 is that I can get to the type of color that U want much more easily; and the night pictures in my postings for this series shows me that high ISO is not that much of a problem, as I am not looking for noise-free pictures in 100% views on the monitor but am only concerned how prints will look. All this lessens my interest in the M240.

All the pictures in these pictures are taken in a narrow street, where people live in one and two-storey wooden houses with their shops and living rooms on on the ground floor, open to the streets. Comments, both positive and negative are welcome.

Pictures 4 and 5, which are pushed the most unfortunately look somewhat grainier and rougher in gradation in the JPGs than they do in Lightroom, as does No. 3 to a lesser extent: presumably the JPG compression has this effect. Picture 4 was taken at f/1.4 and I didn't have time to focus because the subject was doing up her plastic bag and was just walking away from the stand. I am beginning to like the o-o-f effect, but not yet entirely convinced bu this image.

No. 1 | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 1.9 stops | f/2.0 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

No. 2 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 0.8 stop | f/2.0 | 1/350 sec

Bangkok

No. 3 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 2.5 stops | f/2.0 | 1/180 sec

Bangkok

No. 4 | Summilux-50 pre-ASPH | ISO 640 pushed 2.8 stops | f/1.4 | 1/250 sec

Bangkok

No. 5 | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 3.4 stops | f/2.0 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

No. 6 | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 1.1 stops | f/2.8 | 1/125 sec

Bangkok

No. 7 | Summicron-28 | ISO 640 pushed 2.3 stops | f/2.8 | 1/60 sec

Bangkok

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Obvious [WIP]
Eggleston said that he was "at war with the obvious"...

Jul 08, 2013 at 01:28 AM

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11666386 « Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread »