Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11664708 « Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread »

Mitch Alland
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
...Mitch, wonderful series, and love the PP\'ing!

Some shots from Penglai, Shandong district in China. M9P 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 24 Lux...

Charles, thanks. Great color and clarity in your Penglai shots. I\'ve been toying with the idea of getting the Summilux-21, particularly after reading Ron\'s review of 21mm lenses. I have the Elmarit-21 ASPH, which I like but the Summilux-21 could be fantastic for color street photography at night. Somewhat concerned by the weight of the great chunk of glass, but I won\'t ask a masochist who carries that AND the Noctilux. I had the Noctilux but got tired of the difficulty of focusing at f/1.0 and the long focus throw, which was difficult for street photography.

joe88 wrote:
...Mitch, excellent shots, #1, 3, 5 & 6 are my favorites from this set. did you consider adding vignetting or darkening the corners on #2 and 4 to reduce the grain/noise?...

Thanks, Joe. Hey, it\'s \"grain\", not \"noise\"! No I haven\'t thought about vignetting: I would do that only when printing if that turns out to be an issue in a test print. However, I have a great tolerance for grain — I like the M9 at ISO 640 — and looking at these images in Lightroom at 50%, which often simulates a print, makes me think it might be okay. I\'ll see.

jojomon11 wrote:
...Mitch love your work, have you ever tried converting them to B and W? I bet it would really set the mood even more so, the 1st and 3rd def. are my picks...

Phil, thanks. I\'ve been shooting mainly B&W for some years and last November got the M-Monochrom. But since buying the M9-P in mid-February, I\'ve been so taken with the M9 colors that I haven\'t touched B&W. I\'ll go do B&W from August 20, when I going to Paris for 6 six weeks but, until then, I\'ll stick to color. Also, the point of this series was to explore M9 color at night, particularly by shooting at ISO 640 and \"pushing\" in post=processing. I\'ll probably post some 6-7 more color night shots tomorrow, in most of which I\'ve tried to go further in \"loosening up\" on the color. If you\'re interested in my B&W, here is a series shot in Sri Lanks with the M-Monochrom. Also, below my signature is a download with for my book project, called Bangkok Hysteria.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Hysteria [Book project]

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:36 PM
Mitch Alland
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica M8/M9/X1 Picture Thread

charles.K wrote:
...Mitch, wonderful series, and love the PP\'ing!

Some shots from Penglai, Shandong district in China. M9P 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 24 Lux...

Charles, thanks. Great color and clarity in your Penglai shots. I\'ve been toying with the idea of getting the Summilux-21, particularly after reading Ron\'s review of 21mm lenses. I have the Elmarit-21 ASPH, which I like but the Summilux-21 could be fantastic for color street photography at night. Somewhat concerned by the weight of the great chunk of glass, but I won\'t ask a masochist who carries that AND the Noctilux. I had the Noctilix but got tired of the difficulty of focusing at f/1.0 and the long focus throw, which was difficult for street photography.

joe88 wrote:
...Mitch, excellent shots, #1, 3, 5 & 6 are my favorites from this set. did you consider adding vignetting or darkening the corners on #2 and 4 to reduce the grain/noise?...

Thanks, Joe. Hey, it\'s \"grain\", not \"noise\"! No I haven\'t thought about vignetting: I would do that only when printing if that turns out to be an issue in a test print. However, I have a great tolerance for grain — I like the M9 at ISO 640 — and looking at these images in Lightroom at 50%, which often simulates a print, makes me think it might be okay. I\'ll see.

jojomon11 wrote:
...Mitch love your work, have you ever tried converting them to B and W? I bet it would really set the mood even more so, the 1st and 3rd def. are my picks...

Phil, thanks. I\'ve been shooting mainly B&W for some years and last November got the M-Monochrom. But since buying the M9-P in mid-February, I\'ve been so taken with the M9 colors that I haven\'t touched B&W. I\'ll go do B&W from August 20, when I going to Paris for 6 six weeks but, until then, I\'ll stick to color. Also, the point of this series was to explore M9 color at night, particularly by shooting at ISO 640 and \"pushing\" in post=processing. I\'ll probably post some 6-7 more color night shots tomorrow, in most of which I\'ve tried to go further in \"loosening up\" on the color. If you\'re interested in my B&W, here is a series shot in Sri Lanks with the M-Monochrom. Also, below my signature is a download with for my book project, called Bangkok Hysteria.

—Mitch/Bangkok
Bangkok Hysteria [Book project]

Jul 06, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Previous versions of Mitch Alland's message #11664708 « Leica M/X/T/S/Q/ SL Picture Thread »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.