Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Justin Grimm's message #11657956 « Late Nights and Early Mornings »

Justin Grimm
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Late Nights and Early Mornings

JimFox wrote:
Hey Justin,

One of the cool things about staying up late and shooting stars is feeling almost like you are the last person awake on earth. Typically such solitude is hard to find during hectic days, but at night... it\'s just us and the stars...

I like the first one. It almost doesn\'t look real, it has that dream like quality to it similiar to the one Yan did of McWay Falls and got the Featured Thread of the week. It\'s interesting, because if that was a day time shot processed like that, I wouldn\'t like it. But for some reason, (even though I don\'t process my star shots this way) that this type of HDR processing gives a very dreamy look that does seem suitable for star shots. So nice job with coming up with this look.

#2 is also cool looking, perhaps a tad bit more contrast to lose that hint of HDR in it.

Now, you said you rolled out of your tent and just walked 2 minutes to this view. I haven\'t been to the Palouse yet, so you can camp right there at the edge? Is there an official campground there?

Jim

These images should look more punchy and contrasty on a typical non calibrated apple product (which is what I think most people are using), so if you are calibrated they will look under contrasty. I\'ll be making a seperate edit for when I print and keep your thoughts in mind. I hate hdr though, and both of these shots are mostly done with hand blending with the exception of a luminosity mask for pulling in the stars. #2 had diffuse lighting, so only 1 file was used, except for 1 overexposed shot (with exposure reduce in raw later) for noise free shadows.

And yes sir, the campground is a stones throw from the canyon. There is a fenced pathway just down a few step from the parking lot for the typical tourist viewpoint, and this \"photographer\" viewpoint is 1-2 minute walk around the canyon ledge to the left. Ezpz!

Jul 03, 2013 at 08:02 AM

Previous versions of Justin Grimm's message #11657956 « Late Nights and Early Mornings »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.