Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Ben Horne's message #11640182 « Varnished Souls »

Ben Horne
Upload & Sell: Off
Varnished Soul

I shot this on a multi day backpacking trip on the Colorado Plateau last month. This is an image I almost skipped for fear of two things. First and foremost, this location is very precarious, and I was unsure if I would be able to safely reach it with a heavy pack. Secondly, I was concerned about the hike out of this location in the increasingly hot weather. I didn\'t want to push my body beyond its limit, so I considered an early morning start of the return hike to avoid hiking at midday. Such an early start would rule out this shot all together.

On the night before my departure, I decided it would be smart to skip this shot — but when morning arrived I had a change of heart. I decided to at least hike all the way to the precarious part of the trail and see if it was possible with the pack on. It was a bit of a scramble, but I made it without issue. After shooting this photo, I hiked back to Neon canyon where my campsite was, then packed my gear for the nearly 4 mile return hike to my car. It was a brutal hike with 90lbs of gear on my back, and a 1,000 foot elevation gain. I\'m glad I decided to visit the location that morning, otherwise this would have been only a memory.

If you want to see the rest of the story, please view my video journal from this day.

http://youtu.be/nyrx489YuKo

Ebony RW810 | Nikkor 300mm | Fuji Velvia 50 (8x10) | ~12sec @ f/64 | Lee wide angle lens hood

Jun 24, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Ben Horne
Upload & Sell: Off
Varnished Soul

I shot this on a multi day backpacking trip on the Colorado Plateau last month. This is an image I almost skipped for fear of two things. First and foremost, this location is very precarious, and I was unsure if I would be able to safely reach it with a heavy pack. Secondly, I was concerned about the hike out of this location in the increasingly hot weather. I didn\'t want to push my body beyond its limit, so I considered an early morning start of the return hike to avoid hiking at midday. Such an early start would rule out this shot all together.

On the night before my departure, I decided it would be smart to skip this shot — but when morning arrived I had a change of heart. I decided to at least hike all the way to the precarious part of the trail and see if it was possible with the pack on. It was a bit of a scramble, but I made it without issue. After shooting this photo, I hiked back to Neon canyon where my campsite was, then packed my gear for the nearly 4 mile return hike to my car. It was a brutal hike with 90lbs of gear on my back, and a 1,000 foot elevation gain. I\'m glad I decided to visit the location that morning, otherwise this would have been only a memory.

If you want to see the rest of the story, please view my video journal from this day.

http://youtu.be/nyrx489YuKo

Ebony RW810 | Nikkor 300mm | Fuji Velvia 50 (8x10) | ~12sec @ f/64 | Lee wide angle lens hood

Jun 24, 2013 at 02:17 PM

Previous versions of Ben Horne's message #11640182 « Varnished Souls »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.