Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of derbarrett's message #11610758 « Sony A99 Quick thoughts »

derbarrett
Upload & Sell: Off
Sony A99 Quick thoughts

NathanHamler wrote:
The reason the af points are all in the middle, is the same reason why every FF digital slr is the same way...because af sensors wont work (or work WELL) at the edges of the frame...

your observations with the AF ability, is that using ONLY the center point? Or various points?? Also, is this on moving subjects or static??

1. Not completely true ... all of the AF points for the a99 are within the middle 3rd of the frame.. Iíve used the 5d3 quite a few times and it's AF points extend noticeably farther.

2. The center point(s) is very strong for both standing and moving subjects (it does hunt occasionally in low light). Itís the outer points, near the 3rd lines, that I have issues withÖ for both standing and moving subjects. In comparison the outer AF points on the 5d3 seem to lock focus more easily and accurately.

5d3 AF points

A99 AF points

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:19 AM
derbarrett
Upload & Sell: Off
Sony A99 Quick thoughts

NathanHamler wrote:
The reason the af points are all in the middle, is the same reason why every FF digital slr is the same way...because af sensors wont work (or work WELL) at the edges of the frame...

your observations with the AF ability, is that using ONLY the center point? Or various points?? Also, is this on moving subjects or static??

1. Not completely true ... all of the AF points for the a99 are within the middle 3rd of the frame.. Iíve used the 5d3 quite a few times and it's AF points extend noticeably farther.

2. The center point(s) is very strong for both standing and moving subjects (it does hunt occasionally in low light). Itís the outer points, near the 3rd lines, that I have issues withÖ for both standing and moving subjects. In comparison the outer AF points on the 5d3 seem to lock focus more easily and accurately.

5d3 AF points

A99 AF points

Jun 10, 2013 at 02:37 PM

Previous versions of derbarrett's message #11610758 « Sony A99 Quick thoughts »