Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Travis Rhoads's message #11610467 « Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure »

Travis Rhoads
Upload & Sell: On
Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

tomandmarj saw this one that I posted over the the Landscape Forum, and told me it should be posted/shared over here in B&W...so here it goes.

We ventured out to Klondike Bluffs on our next to last day in Arches, chose Saturday since it gets a little busy in the park on Saturday. We made the hike out to Tower Arch, and we thought we would have it to ourselves. We didn't, a group of 4 senior hikers decided to have a picnic under the arch...so I played mountain goat for a while, just taking it all in, didn't like the light on the arch from the normal viewpoint...and then while sitting under it, decided that I liked the view out from under it, the bottom of the arch was getting bounced light from the ground, and there were clouds moving in my general direction...so out came all the filters...Lee Big Stopper, and the Lee .9 GND used at its dark end to get the exposure as long as I could. I am really happy with the 17-40L, it does not seem to suffer from diffraction like the EFS 10-22.

The most common comment yet on this...is it level...I set level based on the horizon, not the sloping rock formations...leveling based on the rocks made the horizon not level, and lost the edge of the arch on the left...

Comments and crits more than welcome, I appreciate them. Thanks for looking.

TR

EDIT: Added a revised version that has been rotated and warped...

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Travis Rhoads
Upload & Sell: On
Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure

tomandmarj saw this one that I posted over the the Landscape Forum, and told me it should be posted/shared over here in B&W...so here it goes.

We ventured out to Klondike Bluffs on our next to last day in Arches, chose Saturday since it gets a little busy in the park on Saturday. We made the hike out to Tower Arch, and we thought we would have it to ourselves. We didn't, a group of 4 senior hikers decided to have a picnic under the arch...so I played mountain goat for a while, just taking it all in, didn't like the light on the arch from the normal viewpoint...and then while sitting under it, decided that I liked the view out from under it, the bottom of the arch was getting bounced light from the ground, and there were clouds moving in my general direction...so out came all the filters...Lee Big Stopper, and the Lee .9 GND used at its dark end to get the exposure as long as I could. I am really happy with the 17-40L, it does not seem to suffer from diffraction like the EFS 10-22.

The most common comment yet on this...is it level...I set level based on the horizon, not the sloping rock formations...leveling based on the rocks made the horizon not level, and lost the edge of the arch on the left...

Comments and crits more than welcome, I appreciate them. Thanks for looking.

TR

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Previous versions of Travis Rhoads's message #11610467 « Tower Arch Portal Long Exposure »