Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Mark Metternich's message #11608742 « Panther Paradise »

Mark Metternich
Upload & Sell: On
Panther Paradise

Sneakyracer wrote:
What dslr did you use? I find that with say a Canon 5D3, even with a perfect file shot with Canons best glass at optimum apertures and perfect technique, the max enlargement is about 20x30 with small foliage in the scene. I mean larger prints look ok until you see one made from a tech camera and digital back file.

I think we may end up humbly yet sharply disagreeing on this issue. I have been making 40, 50, 60, 70+ inch Flex on acrylic prints with various DSLR's for almost 10 years now. One of my main jobs is producing (post production) gallery prints for fine art photographers. This privilege (along with producing my own work) allows me to make 10's if not up to nearly 100 enlargements a year.

My opinion is this: if one masters every step in the long chain of workflow (camera to print) as best as can be done, then also masters capture sharpening (deconvolution), upsizing and resolution choices, various advanced sharpening techniques as well as custom grain simulation, then one can easily go quite larger than 20x30! A 24 or 30 inch print is the smallest I sell. 50 inches is quite common (my favorite size) and I have produced many over 70 inches. Will they look just as good as 8X10 when a photographer comes into a gallery and puts their nose to the print? Of course not, but plenty good enough for the purchasers of fine art landscape who view at more reasonable viewing distances. And now with the D800E shot with great glass, I generally don't see size restrictions anymore.

Jun 09, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Mark Metternich
Upload & Sell: On
Panther Paradise

Sneakyracer wrote:
What dslr did you use? I find that with say a Canon 5D3, even with a perfect file shot with Canons best glass at optimum apertures and perfect technique, the max enlargement is about 20x30 with small foliage in the scene. I mean larger prints look ok until you see one made from a tech camera and digital back file.

I think we may end up humbly yet sharply disagreeing on this issue. I have been making 40, 50, 60, 70+ inch Flex on acrylic prints with various DSLR's for almost 10 years now. One of my main jobs is producing (post production) gallery prints for fine art photographers. This privilege (along with producing my own work) allows me to make 10's if not up to nearly 100 enlargements a year.

My opinion is this: if one masters every step in the long chain of workflow (camera to print) as best as can be done, then also masters capture sharpening (deconvolution), upsizing and resolution choices, various advanced sharpening techniques as well as custom grain simulation, then one can easily go quite larger than 20x30! A 24 or 30 inch print is the smallest I sell. 50 inches is quite common (my favorite size) and I have produced many over 70 inches. Will they look just as good as 8X10 when a photographer comes into a gallery and puts their nose to the print? Of course not, but plenty good enough for the purchasers of fine art landscape who view at more reasonable viewing distances. And now with the D800E shot with great glass, I generally don't see size restrictions anymore.

Jun 09, 2013 at 04:45 PM

Previous versions of Mark Metternich's message #11608742 « Panther Paradise »