Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Mark Metternich's message #11607346 « Panther Paradise »

Mark Metternich
Upload & Sell: On
Panther Paradise

With the workshop season in full effect this might be my last post until the end of summer/beginning of fall. I took this while shooting with an excellent photographer, Chris Moore, about two weeks ago. Here, we spent a good hour or two just trying to figure out how to shoot this beast in a way that was not exactly the same as others before us, yet at least try to do the place its due justice. Not an easy task, as I am sure more than a few on this forum can attest. The falls reminds me a lot of Proxy in it sheer roaring enormity and complexity. With heavy/low fog in the scene and relentless pouring down rain we knew the location had good potential for atmosphere, but shooting conditions were exceedingly difficult. I think we both may have been frustrated for quite a while.

As always, most accurately viewed on a calibrated monitor using Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

Logistics for those inquisitive, logistical and detail oriented :

This is a 3 shot blend using the Canon 16-35L2@16 mm (at f/8). I did not want to use the 14-24@ 14 due to having to keep the massive Lee polarizing filter dry. Yet, I wanted to try to get that wide sweeping 14 (or better) feel/look. What I did was shoot one auto bracketed shot allowing the lens distortion to stretch the upper waterfall slightly, so that the wide angle would not typically render it too small. Then, under my umbrella, after wiping off my lens (with circular polarizer on) I took one shot for the water pointing the camera downward in a way that accentuated the sweep of the creek. All foundational work was done in ACR 7.3. Two back to back shots for the upper portion (auto bracketing by 1 stop) were used, using my Blending For Dynamic Range - Blend If technique. Then I did a lens perspective blend in PS (of the upper waterfall background file and of the foreground water file) using a combination of the lens correction tool and PS's "auto blend." This technique difficult to describe, but can work wonders for creative perspective changes (whether corrections or distortions) in an image. This image was shot with the 16-35L2 at 16 mm but my rough guess is that the finished image holds an area of roughly a 13 or 12 mm corrected lens if there was such a thing. One natural question one might ask is: with the in camera lens distortion slight stretching and the lens correction perspective shifting (in PS) and then the auto blending... can the print hold up to a decent quality enlargement? I think the file is pretty good and might make at least a good quality moderately sized enlargement of 40 inches or more.

As always, thank you very much for looking and your feedback. See you out there, and have a great spring/summer!

Jun 08, 2013 at 09:17 PM
Mark Metternich
Upload & Sell: On
Panther Paradise

With the workshop season in full effect this might be my last post until the end of summer/beginning of fall. I took this while shooting with an excellent photographer, Chris Moore, about two weeks ago. Here, we spent a good hour or two just trying to figure out how to shoot this beast in a way that was not exactly the same as others before us, yet at least try to do the place its due justice. Not an easy task, as I am sure more than a few on this forum can attest. The falls reminds me a lot of Proxy in it sheer roaring enormity and complexity. With heavy/low fog in the scene and relentless pouring down rain we knew the location had good potential for atmosphere, but shooting conditions were exceedingly difficult. I think we both may have been frustrated for quite a while.

As always, most accurately viewed on a calibrated monitor using Safari, Firefox or Chrome.

Logistics for those inquisitive, logistical and detail oriented :

This is a 3 shot blend using the Canon 16-35L2@16 mm (at f/8). I did not want to use the 14-24@ 14 due to having to keep the massive Lee polarizing filter dry. Yet, I wanted to try to get that wide sweeping 14 (or better) feel/look. What I did was shoot one auto bracketed shot allowing the lens distortion to stretch the upper waterfall slightly, so that the wide angle would not typically render it too small. Then, under my umbrella, after wiping off my lens (with circular polarizer on) I took one shot for the water pointing the camera downward in a way that accentuated the sweep of the creek. All foundational work was done in ACR 7.3. Two back to back shots for the upper portion (auto bracketing by 1 stop) were used, using my Blending For Dynamic Range - Blend If technique. Then I did a lens perspective blend in PS (of the upper waterfall background file and of the foreground water file) using a combination of the lens correction tool and PS's "auto blend." This technique difficult to describe, but can work wonders for creative perspective changes (whether corrections or distortions) in an image. This image was shot with the 16-35L2 at 16 mm but my rough guess is that the finished image holds an area of roughly a 13 or 12 mm corrected lens if there was such a thing. One natural question one might ask is: with the in camera lens distortion slight stretching and the lens correction perspective shifting (in PS) and then the auto blending... can the print hold up to a decent quality enlargement? I think the file is pretty good and might make at least a good quality moderately sized enlargement of 40 inches or more.

As always, thank you very much for looking and your feedback. See you out there, and have a great spring/summer!

Jun 08, 2013 at 08:12 PM

Previous versions of Mark Metternich's message #11607346 « Panther Paradise »