Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of heikoM's message #11584707 « Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy »

heikoM
Upload & Sell: Off
Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy

Hi

as I got the new D600s with 24 MP and the possibility so switch to 1.5 crop mode in a matter of 1 second I start thinking:

Many want light, versatile equipment. But instead we lugg around big zooms or go primes and carry 3-4 (or more) to be versatile.

We all learned cropping is bad, because you loose image-quality, increase depht of field and it is often considered bad style. \"compose in camera\" is what the pros do, right?

I want to keep it simple (as I am faster on more creative), don,t want to lugg around and change lenses the whole time. With 24 MP I have all the reserves I need.

Last wedding I used the 28/1.8 on one body and the 50/1.4 on the other. Not more. When more reach was needed I just switched to crop mode and had a 75/1.4 (or something like that because DOP increases).

When this still was not enough I could crop in post. Faster then any lens change would have been, and sure more convinient then carry more lenses. I can crop to a equivalent of a 100 mm lens (12 MP) or even tighter, as I think even 9 MP is still enough.

Bottom line, 2 very lightweight lenses, one 28 (you could even crop here to 35) and one Prime-Lens-Zoom (ha) 50 - 135.

(As I am writing this, I get quite excited of the possibility of being sooo light and versatile)
What do you think?

heiko

May 29, 2013 at 07:51 AM

Previous versions of heikoM's message #11584707 « Prime-Lens-Zoom : or, how to crop you happy »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.