Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of ckcarr's message #11581665 « BIG Arizona Western Diamondback Rattlesnake »

ckcarr
Upload & Sell: On
BIG Arizona Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

I found this somewhere. "The largest documented Western Diamondback from Arizona is 5' 6" in length, with another possible record, not well documented, at 6 feet."

I was hiking with a friend down in Arizona in a remote section of the Superstition Mountains this weekend. We stopped under a group of trees to relax and look at a giant tree trunk. So I walked into this group of trees to get a closer look at it. Somehow, out of the corner of my eye I saw something not normal. As my eyes focused I saw a BIG Western Diamondback rattlesnake around two feet from my foot. Fortunately I can still move VERY Fast!! After we had a big laugh about it and how the next step would be a doozy, I managed to snap some shots. He was a very cooperative model!

The reason I posted the above size reference is because this particular snake was somewhere between 4 1/2 and 5 feet. When it uncoiled it kept getting longer and longer... It's the largest snake I've ever seen. Our rattlesnakes here are only 1 1/2 feet long... It was pretty impressive! My only disappointment was I could not get him to show his fangs...

Thanks for looking!

May 28, 2013 at 04:02 AM

Previous versions of ckcarr's message #11581665 « BIG Arizona Western Diamondback Rattlesnake »