Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Jman13's message #11574889 « Downsides to adding a mirrorless body? »

Jman13
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Downsides to adding a mirrorless body?

1) No major changes to optical performance that I\'ve seen. (I own m4/3 and Fuji X, and have used NEX)

2) Um, you get fast lenses. No major changes from how they\'d work on your DSLR, aside from potential crop factor stuff if you have a FF DSLR.

3) Not in my experience...I\'ve used the cheapo Rainbow Imaging adapters for the most part with great results.

4) Not very good, frankly. Focus and composing is fine, but the weight and balance can be off. I find that using something quite large is OK, but it\'s the mid-range weight stuff...things that you\'d use one hand to carry on the camera...that feel awkward. When I use an alt 50, or my Hexanon 57/1.2, it feels fine. When I use a longer lens, like a 200/2.8 or my big 50-300/4.5L, they feel OK...it\'s the things like my Rokinon 85/1.4 or FD 135/2 or the like that just feel a little unwieldy.

5) Not left-eyed, so I\'ll leave that to others.

6) I like the ability to use alt lenses on my mirrorless cameras, and if you have a bunch of small alts, they can work really well. But I wouldn\'t use a mirrorless body for EOS lenses unless I really had a specific look, and if there\'s a native lens that fits the same range and capabilities as one you want to adapt? I\'ll take that one 99% of the time. The fact is, with Micro 4/3 and Fuji X, the native lenses are better than the vast majority of what you\'d adapt in the same range, and are MUCH smaller to boot. My PanaLeica 25/1.4 is better than almost any 24mm f/1.4 you could adapt. I wouldn\'t be surprised to see it be equal to the 24/1.4 Summilux for Leica M, frankly (not saying it is...just that it wouldn\'t surprise me). The Olympus 60/2.8 Macro and 75/1.8 are as good as ANY lens I\'ve owned for any system... The Fuji 35/1.4 and 14/2.8 are brilliant lenses. The NEX lineup isn\'t as good as m4/3 or Fuji X for the most part, but they\'re getting better too.

My own personal opinion is that getting a mirrorless body is often pointless if you\'re going to stick huge DSLR lenses in front. It\'s not bad for a backup in a pinch, but the whole point (to me, anyway), is to reduce the size of the kit and still get great images, and the lenses are a HUGE portion of that. Even the Fuji X lenses, which are rather large compared to something like m4/3, are small enough that a tiny Lowepro Rezo 110 can hold my X-E1, 14/2.8, 35/1.4 and 60/2.4 Macro. My Think Tank Retrospective 5, which is a very small shoulder bag, can hold my OM-D, 7-14, 14/2.8, 25/1.4, 35-100/2.8 and 75/1.8, plus a flash, spare batteries and filters...if I had a DSLR with lenses, I might be able to fit a Rebel with two smaller lenses in it.

May 24, 2013 at 01:08 PM

Previous versions of Jman13's message #11574889 « Downsides to adding a mirrorless body? »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.