Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11554825 « Imac or Mac Tower or Macbook Pro with Monitor »

Scott Stoness
Upload & Sell: On
Imac or Mac Tower or Macbook Pro with Monitor

jforkner wrote:
First, I don\'t understand what the brand of camera or the subject-matter of the shots has to do with which computer to buy.

Second, I think you\'re selling the iMac short. My 2-year old model has one external drive plus a RAID array (Drobo) attached and works well. The glossy screen, if oriented properly, is not an issue and produces nice, crisp images. I find the compact nature of the iMac a nice change from the tower-based PC I used to use. And I think the notion of upgradeability is overrated---if properly configured upfront, all the most you\'ll need to do is add/enhance the drives.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I agree on brand. Wildlife/Sports people do less processing and take more pictures is my experience. Whereas landscape guys do lots of photoshop and hdr processing that is really processing intensive. Eg. A landscape with d800 expanded to 16 bit tiff and stitched could result in a several gigabyte file that you are working on. Typically I shoot 3 shots bracketed and blend for landscape, then convert using dpp to tiff to correct lens, then blend hdr with single shot. So each shot can be a gigabyte or more. This is less likely with wildlife. I have 16 Tb on my tower with a 16 TB drobo as backup and 32gb of ram an solid state drive with two very large monitors. This is not possible with imac, but might be okay for wildlife/sports.

I appreciate your input. Did you calibrate your imac with spyder or something and do you have trouble matching your screen color to your print color?

May 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Scott Stoness
Upload & Sell: On
Imac or Mac Tower or Macbook Pro with Monitor

jforkner wrote:
First, I don\'t understand what the brand of camera or the subject-matter of the shots has to do with which computer to buy.

Second, I think you\'re selling the iMac short. My 2-year old model has one external drive plus a RAID array (Drobo) attached and works well. The glossy screen, if oriented properly, is not an issue and produces nice, crisp images. I find the compact nature of the iMac a nice change from the tower-based PC I used to use. And I think the notion of upgradeability is overrated---if properly configured upfront, all the most you\'ll need to do is add/enhance the drives.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I agree on brand. Wildlife/Sports people do less processing and take more pictures is my experience. Whereas landscape guys do lots of photoshop and hdr processing that is really processing intensive. Eg. A landscape with d800 expanded to 16 bit tiff and stitched could result in a several gigabyte file that you are working on. Typically I shoot 3 shots bracketed and blend for landscape, then convert using dpp to tiff to correct lens, then blend hdr with single shot. So each shot can be a gigabyte or more. This is less likely with wildlife.

I appreciate your input. Did you calibrate your imac with spyder or something and do you have trouble matching your screen color to your print color?

May 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Previous versions of Scott Stoness's message #11554825 « Imac or Mac Tower or Macbook Pro with Monitor »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.