Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of splathrop's message #11552532 « Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released! »

splathrop
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Official: Canon EF 200–400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released!

Fred Miranda mentions professionals who can't afford to miss the shot. But if they rely on it exclusively, professionals who use this zoom and do sideline sports photography are guaranteed to miss a lot of shots—when the play comes right at them down the line—200mm is far too telephoto for that.

So professional sports shooters are going to carry two cameras, just like now.The question I'm asking is whether Canon missed an opportunity to fit a better-suited new big zoom into that professional niche. Suppose, for instance, that it were a peculiar-seeming 300-400 f/3.5 (or f/3.2, if it wouldn't be too big and heavy) zoom, with the same internal extender option. Wouldn't that work better as the longer end of a tandem sports package. You cover the long end (still 520mm) with at least f/5.0, maybe f/4.5, and get better background blur, which is always at a premium when you are reaching way out (I question how many sports pros are going to want to give up their f/2.8 backgrounds at 400mm, however). Maybe what I'm suggesting is that Canon's use of the built-in extender should have revolutionized their design thinking more than it seems to have done.

Or maybe it's not really intended as a sports lens. Maybe it's a safari lens—perfect for people who want to take their 200mm f/4.0 penguin shots with something that weighs 8 pounds and costs 5 figures.

May 14, 2013 at 04:58 PM

Previous versions of splathrop's message #11552532 « Official: Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS 1.4X released! »