Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of naturephoto1's message #11542188 « Leica S-System and the future of Medium-Format »

naturephoto1
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Leica S-System and the future of Medium-Format

sflxn wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:
sflxn wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote:
The Leica S lenses are autofocus. I do not believe that the MF competition has this capability. Additionally the Leica S lenses are some of the best performing MF lenses ever designed. Additionally, the camera itself is ergonomically a wonder and amazingly small camera with outstanding handling capability. It is to the best of my knowledge the only MF digital camera to handle like a large 35mm SLR. The amazing thing about the camera is the size of the sensor in relationship to the camera size. The camera is actually smaller than the top of the line Nikon and Canon cameras.

Rich

Hasselblad, Phase One, Pentax all have AF lenses.

OK, so I am in error. But the camera itself is something very different and the lenses are still some of the finest performing MF lenses ever designed.

Rich

From what I\'ve read, they have the best lens for sure, but at 2x the prices that Hasselblad and Phase One are asking? If Nikon does pull out that 56mp D4x that\'s rumored, it will be interesting to see how confident Leica is then. We\'re definitely in for some interesting times. FF 35mm with higher DR sensor but with pixel density too high for FF lenses. MF with better lenses with leaf shutter but still stuck with sensors that are years behind in tech.

I had always questioned Leica\'s decision to go to the MF digital format. As a long time Leica R user, Leica had a ready made following of users to make a digital R10. That was planned for release after the introduction of the S2. But, this was latter an abandoned project.

As to the questions regarding their 36mp sensor, the pixels should be much larger than those of any 35mm sensor. But, as you have mentioned the MF sensor technology is not as advanced as those for the 35mm cameras. If Phase One or Nikon does release a much higher density mp sensor I would suspect that in the future Leica will need to do the same for the successor to the new S in order to be competitive.

But, a 56mp Nikon DX4 or any 35mm camera may be overkill and will have many problems some of which will relate to the number of lenses that can support this resolution capability.

JaKo wrote:
naturephoto1 wrote: [Leica] lenses are still some of the finest performing MF lenses ever designed

No question about it! Leica mastered manual, mechanical photo gear, but digital leader they are not, despide their bald claims.

Sorry, in this case, I was using MF as Medium Format and not Manual Focus in this instance. Sorry for any confusion.

Rich

May 09, 2013 at 08:53 PM

Previous versions of naturephoto1's message #11542188 « Leica S-System and the future of Medium-Format »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.