Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of sirimiri's message #11542155 « Leica S-System and the future of Medium-Format »

sirimiri
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Leica S-System and the future of Medium-Format

"Our first insight was that competitor systems originated from analog, and as a result, the digital versions of their cameras had some natural limitations. As newcomers without legacy hardware, we had the advantage of designing a medium format system from scratch for digital."

They had to start from zero, so it's not necessarily a benefit that you're not a legacy system - yet. I would also think that the non-modular approach and frightening depreciation of the body/sensor combination is something to consider for some potential users.

...medium format film cameras have always had a problem keeping a large surface area of film completely flat. To compensate for this unevenness, medium format lenses were designed to mask the imperfections of an uneven recording surface � by not providing peak sharpness. But with digital sensors, unevenness is a non-issue. This allowed us to develop lenses that deliver uncompromising peak sharpness.

That is an interesting claim to make.

May 10, 2013 at 01:40 AM

Previous versions of sirimiri's message #11542155 « Leica S-System and the future of Medium-Format »