Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11530623 « Upstart Needs Food Photography »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Upstart Needs Food Photography

Micky Bill wrote:
If good photography doesn\'t sell a product why do car companies spend $500,000 shooting catalogs?

To generate curiosity and create desire that develops as many prospects as possible in conjunction with their other marketing efforts.
The images can also be used to facilitate conversation and conviction within the sales process ... but that doesn\'t mean the images will close the sale by themselves. They are an important part of the process in prospect generation (i.e. marketing), but not the final aspect where the rubber meets the road (i.e. sales) to convert prospects to buyers.

Go ask a car salesman (or a thousand car salesmen) if the photography sells the car? If it does, then all the industry of car dealerships/salesman have to do is show catalog pictures all day long and rake in big money because all the work has already been done for them and they should have the easiest job in the world.

Somehow, I don\'t think car dealers and car salesmen would agree that good photography sells the car ... I\'m pretty sure they still have to convert the prospect to a customer, and even the best salesmen don\'t have a 1:1 conversion rate. Just sayin\'.

Think about this ... Ford puts out an awesome catalog shot by the world\'s best. Chevy hires the same photographer not to be outdone by Ford. Mercedes gets in the game and also hires the same photographer. All images are absolutely stunning and people are flocking to Ford, Chevy and Mercedes dealers around the world.

But do they all buy cars at the first dealership they go to? Which ones buy cars at that first dealership? Which ones go to a different dealership? Which ones never buy a car? Which ones buy a car other than Ford, Chevy or Mercedes? Why/why not?

If good photography sells cars ... why does salesman A make big $$$$ and salesman B gets canned, even though they both have the same awesome images in their same catalog at the same dealership? Which salesman (or agent, etc.) is likely able to better benefit from better images?

Micky Bill wrote:
To get you to consider the product and imagine yourself owning it.
It doesn\'t make the sale but it starts the sale by attracting your eye.

+1 @ starts the sale (sales process @ prospect generation) by attracting your eye (curiosity)
+1 @ consider the product (curiosity/conviction)
+1 @ imagine yourself owning it (create desire)
+1 @ doesn\'t make the sale (close)

Better images can do a lot and do have value at helping to generate and bring the prospects to the marketplace (i.e. make the agents phone ring, come to the car lot, ask for a wine list, etc.) ... but they can\'t do it all, particularly with those prospects who \"need help\" to pull the trigger on a deal they are struggling to come to terms with or aren\'t used to making significant key decisions. That\'s where salesmanship is paramount.

Anybody ever heard this from a prospective client ... \"You charge HOW MUCH for those pictures?\"
Someone is struggling with terms/key decision making (objection). Enter the need for salesmanship to help them the rest of the way through to the sale ... because even our own pictures, don\'t make the sale all by itself, not even for us.

May 04, 2013 at 05:15 PM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11530623 « Upstart Needs Food Photography »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.