Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Frogfish's message #11519721 « Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life? »

Frogfish
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life?

Patrick Cox wrote:
What is AF-ON? (sorry, Nikon newb!)

There is a button on the back of some Nikon cameras designated as AF-On. Basically what it does when activated is reduce the shutter button to shutter release only (it does not attempt to focus). So, although you are now using two buttons instead of one to focus (AF-On) and release the shutter (Shutter button), it gives you the ultimate control over when and where the camera will attempt to focus or refocus.
This comes in very handy in, for example, birding, when you have a bird in a bush that requires some manual focusing to get it in focus - you certainly don't want the camera attempting to refocus after you have attained critical focus ! This can be applied to many other areas of photography.

Some cameras, such as the D600, don't have this button. You can however remap this function to another button. I remapped it to AE-L and remapped AE-L to Fn.

Apr 30, 2013 at 05:50 AM

Previous versions of Frogfish's message #11519721 « Oh, AF-ON... where have you been all my life? »