Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11516041 « Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013! »

skibum5
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

arbitrage wrote:
As far as I recall Canon has never supported teleconverters on the 70-300L. You mention it fits at the long end. Does this mean it doesn't fit on the 70mm end? Because that is probably why they don't support it if that is the case.

I know when 1.1.1 firmware for the 1DX was being released to give it f/8 that the chart on this page: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware
listed the 70-300L as being supported with the 1.4TC. However, going to that page now the chart doesn't list it anymore so I guess that was a mistake that they subsequently corrected.

I agree it would be a nice compact 420mm combo for use in good lighting. Would the AF be any better with the Kenko? I wonder because the camera would also see it as f/5.6 wouldn't it?

Someone said that with the kenko it reports at f/8 and works in the new AF mode. But that the kenko gives worse micro-contrast.

Even if they are afraid to list the 70-300L as supported, fine, but they coulda still let it work anyway . Damn what a pain. This firmware is turning into a bust for me.

I don't know if the focus was perfect on this since it wsn't 10x liveview and the AF is very dodgy but one of the better looking frames produced this, not exactly THE sharpest thing in the world, but useful and usable and with more detail than an upscale:

so it would be nice if they at least secretly unlocked the f/8 AF and let it recognize the 70-300+TC combo for everything even if they leave it out of their officially supported list!

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:52 PM
skibum5
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013!

arbitrage wrote:
As far as I recall Canon has never supported teleconverters on the 70-300L. You mention it fits at the long end. Does this mean it doesn't fit on the 70mm end? Because that is probably why they don't support it if that is the case.

I know when 1.1.1 firmware for the 1DX was being released to give it f/8 that the chart on this page: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware
listed the 70-300L as being supported with the 1.4TC. However, going to that page now the chart doesn't list it anymore so I guess that was a mistake that they subsequently corrected.

I agree it would be a nice compact 420mm combo for use in good lighting. Would the AF be any better with the Kenko? I wonder because the camera would also see it as f/5.6 wouldn't it?

Someone said that with the kenko it reports at f/8 and works in the new AF mode. But that the kenko gives worse micro-contrast.

Even if they are afraid to list the 70-300L as supported, fine, but they coulda still let it work anyway . Damn what a pain. This firmware is turning into a bust for me.

I don't know if the focus was perfect on this since it wsn't 10x liveview and the AF is very dodgy but one of the better looking frames produced this, not exactly THE sharpest thing in the world, but useful and usable and with more detail than an upscale:

so it would be nice if they at least secretly unlocked the f/8 AF and let it recognize the 70-300+TC combo for everything even if they leave it out of their officially supported list!

Apr 28, 2013 at 06:45 PM

Previous versions of skibum5's message #11516041 « Canon 5D Mark III firmware update in April 30th 2013! »