Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Previous versions of CGrindahl's message #11512634 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

CGrindahl
Upload & Sell: Off
Manual Focus Nikon Glass

MDoc9523 wrote:
Curtis On the D7000 and the D600 you set the minimum ISO and the maximum ISO and the min shutter speed and the camera chooses the ISO. I almost always shoot in auto iso. The only problem I have ever had is when I forget to change the speed based on the different focal length. For the 300 4.5 I usually choose 1/1000 but the 24mm I may only set at 1/100.

I can do the same if I\'m willing to go to the Menu, but as your example notes, the minimum shutter speed will depend on the focal length of the lens you\'re using. Shooting manual mode is much simpler than going into the menu to change the minimum shutter speed. Of course, there is nothing wrong with having a minimum higher than 1/30th of a second. Setting it a 1/100th of a second would mean anything from 85mm down would be covered. However, I am happy to shoot at 1/30th when using either the 20 or 24mm lenses.

I was reacting in part to Peter\'s suggestion that Auto ISO be turned off because all it would ever do is add noise. I think Peter\'s decades of experience shooting film is evident in that comment since recent generations of Nikon DSLR cameras play quite happily with very high ISO. Here\'s a shot I took last Sunday at a friend\'s home with the 50 f/1.4 S.C. AI\'d. Since I was shooting inside and needed a bit of depth to the images I sent the camera at f/4 and shutter speed at 1/60th of a second. For this shot, the camera required ISO 6400. Yes, if you looked at the darkest part of the image at 100% resolution grain would be evident. This is completely unprocessed apart of reduction in size.

Apr 26, 2013 at 07:15 PM

Previous versions of CGrindahl's message #11512634 « Manual Focus Nikon Glass »

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.