Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of Jonas B's message #11509978 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »

Jonas B
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wfrank wrote:
Good for you. Looking forward to read your impressions.

Yes, thank you, I think it literally can be good for me.

It's exciting coming back to FF and a camera with a good performing lens and viewfinder. Yup, I got the viewfinder as well, I'm too old to become a full time monitor shooter.

My first impression, from the first time I handled the camera in the store, is that the camera is too small, too slippery (pretty much as the OM-D E-M5 I have been using for the last year) and in dire need of some modifications.
As Sony don't think a hood is needed I mounted a standard metal screw-on hood I had in the drawer (sold as a "normal hood") which seem effective. Then I added a rubber band to the foot of the viewfinder trying to secure it to the camera (works until the rubber band needs to be replaced I guess). Finally I ordered the RRS grip complete with L bracket.
The grip arrived yesterday. The grip part of it is a bit slippery (all polished aluminum) so I added some tape to it. All this transformed the GX1 from being an expensive toy into a photographer's tool. It is now bigger and heavier but ergonomic.

I don't plan on using the camera for handheld high ISO indoor close-ups, I could have kept the E-M5 for that, but here is a sample telling me I'll be able to have some fun with the camera. ISO 12.800, f/4, a 33% crop, no noise reduction:

Yes, I like it this far (which is one week with little spare time for playing).

Apr 25, 2013 at 07:19 PM
Jonas B
Upload & Sell: Off
Re: Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)

wfrank wrote:
Good for you. Looking forward to read your impressions.

Yes, thank you, I think it literally can be good for me.

It's exciting coming back to FF and a camera with a good performing lens and viewfinder. Yup, I got the viewfinder as well, I'm too old to become a full time monitor shooter.

My first impression, from the first time I handled the camera in the store, is that the camera is too small, too slippery (pretty much as the OM-D E-M5 I have been using for the last year) and in dire need of some modifications.
As Sony don't think a hood is needed I mounted a standard metal screw-on hood I had in the drawer (sold as a "normal hood") which seem effective. Then I added a rubber band to the foot of the viewfinder trying to secure it to the camera (works until the rubber band needs to be replaced I guess). Finally I ordered the RRS grip complete with L bracket.
The grip arrived yesterday. The grip part of it is a bit slippery (all polished aluminum) so I added some tape to it. All this transformed the GX1 from being an expensive toy into a photographer's tool. It is now bigger and heavier but ergonomic.

I don't plan on using the camera for handheld high ISO indoor close-ups, I could have kept the E-M5 for that, but here is a sample telling me I'll be able to have some fun with the camera. ISO 12.800, f/4, cropped 800x1100 pixels from the original 6000x4000 so quite a bit, no noise reduction:

Yes, I like it this far (which is one week with little spare time for playing).

Apr 25, 2013 at 05:37 PM

Previous versions of Jonas B's message #11509978 « Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens) »